Cold-Start Engine Damage from Sticky Throttle Linkage?

Hi All

I have a 1978 Benz 300D (which is a diesel), and I guess it’s time to lubricate the throttle linkages, as I’m supposed to do regularly!

This morning I had the unpleasant experience of starting the car with the gas pedal stuck almost to the floor.

You may well ask why I started it under those conditions! I don’t know - bad idea.

There’s no rev counter in this model, but I can say that the revs went higher than they ever have since I’ve owned the car. As a careful owner, that would have caused me enough chagrin with a warm engine. To have done it to a cold engine makes me feel very guilty!

So this is largely a confession, but if anyone has actual knowledge of the sort of damage this could do I’d appreciate hearing it. At the moment I just have visions of grinding cold metal parts against eachother!

Bad, bad owner.

At least the oil (20W-60) is fairly new, and it’s only very early fall here in Western Australia.

Cheers,

James.

I should also point out the relevant temperatures.

51 was the overnight low, which occurred 4 hours before I started the engine; by that time the air temp was 68.

Cheers.

Stop worrying and start lubricating the throttle linkage. It’s unlikely you did any significant damage to the engine, but I wouldn’t make a practice of it.