Cold Case

My new car will not start when it is below 25 degrees. It has done this 3 times and my dealer has changed a bad “cluster” that was apparently draining the battery. However, the problem continues…no one at the dealership can determine what is going on since the vehicle starts right up when it’s in their posession…

How new is the car and in what state? I would tell the dealer to take the car back myself. If the dealer does not fix this in two visits call the ford zone representative. You need a new car or a promise that is valid that they will fix the car the next time you drop it off for repair.

What kind of car?

You need to leave it overnight at the dealer when it will be below 25 degrees and you need to show up when they open so that you get someone out there to try to start it.

After that, it is their problem and they will have to solve it or face the Lemon Law.

I would tell the dealer to take the car back. You need to call the ford zone rep for your area. These folks are not helping you and they should not be dealers. They are supposed to help fix this instead of giving lame excuses.

The car is a 2009 model and I bought it in July in Kentucky. I have had no other issues, however this has become a significant problem. How do you know who the Ford Zone Representative is?

Why someone would tolerate this situation on a 2009 car without “kicking it up” to a higher level is beyond me. As was suggested, it is time for the OP to take a look at the details of the Lemon Law in Kentucky. Details can be viewed at www.carlemon.com

As to the Ford Zone Representative, the Owner’s Manual will have information on how to contact Ford Corporate. That is the way that you can connect with the Zone Rep, whose name is not necessary for communication.

Just to illustrate what can result from taking appropriate action, several months ago my friend had continuing problems with his 2008 RAV-4, and the dealership was unable to fix the problem on two different occasions. Since the NJ Lemon Law calls for a full refund or a new vehicle if the problem cannot be resolved after three repair attempts, I sent a certified letter to Toyota Corporate in California, informing them that a Lemon Law claim would be filed if the 3rd repair attempt was also unsuccessful.

Within days, they contacted my friend and arranged for the Toyota Regional Service Rep to examine the car at the dealership. On the appointed day, the Toyota Rep arrived with a Japanese engineer. It took the two of them about 2 hours to identify and fix the problem, but it was definitely resolved on that 3rd attempt. The Regional Rep also made a negative comment about the quality of the mechanics at that dealership, since he felt that they should have been able to find the problem without his intervention, but the bottom line is that the problem was fixed–permanently.

All the OP has to do is to open the Owner’s Manual to read some content therein, and also to reference the details of the Lemon Law for Kentucky. I am confident that simply utilizing the literature and legal resources that exist will result in satisfaction for the OP.

You need to leave it overnight at the dealer when it will be below 25 degrees and you need to show up when they open so that you get someone out there to try to start it.

YEP. I’d give them a pass on the fact that there was no problem for them to diagnose and fix on the two visits. THAT DIDN’T MEAN that they’re off the Lemon Law liability list, just that you can’t really expect them to identify the condition outside of the only time it occurs. They should have suggested leaving it overnight on the 2nd visit.

Well, I wouldn’t be all that reactionary about it. There’s sensible realities involved here. You can rant and stomp and throw a temper tantrum but if they’re willing to work with you and aren’t playing Pointius Pilate, then enable them to at least get a chance to experience the condition as it occurs. You’ll still have all the opportunity to throw a fit later on.