Cold and tire pressure warning

OK, so I took it to a shop. 3 tires at 31 psi, one at 20. Had a screw in it. I never would have noticed this by eye or driving feel. OK, so the sissy dope lights have some value.

2 Likes

Yeah similar thing happened to me. Frigid day, PSI reading around 27. I inflated them to 31. Got the tire pressure warning. I thought it was just resetting the the monitor. Didn’t drive for a few days, and the front right tire was flat.

Had a nail in it.

Best to inspect everything even if it could be the cold.

1 Like

Haha! And here we are all debating physics! Did you get away with a patch/plug, or did you have to get new tire(s)?

That’s the problem with a indirect TPMS. If you would have had a car with a direct TPMS you would have known immediately which tire was low with out driving to the shop and worrying about checking all the tire pressures in the cold. Next time you buy a car make sure you know which kind of TPMS it has.

Tire was fixed with a plug.
My guy also did me the favor of breaking off all the G*******d********
locking lug nuts and replacing them with normal ones.
Bought this thing used; no key; never needed it and never
noticed the things.

Not all direct tire pressure monitors display the tire pressures and some that display the pressure don’t indicate the tire positions.

Nevada: Is that a pic of an actual direct TPMS? If so did it set off a low pressure indicator at 1 psi difference? I thought TPMS indicators were supposed to flash only when there is a 25% difference in tire pressure or is it 25% below the recommended pressure. In either case that seems to be a very small difference to set off a warning.

All four tires in the picture are underinflated and just showing each tire. Not reacting to the 1 lb difference.

A low pressure indicator in a direct TPMS is supposed to flash when there is a 25% drop from manufacture’s recommended pressure. The pic shown by Nevada must be from a vehicle with 40 psi recommended pressure for this to be the case which I doubt. If the pic is from a car with normal 32psi tires it does not make sense that the TPMS indicator flashed. ??

@Franz_Sitar It has been well established that you are unhappy with your TPMS . But you have to treat each vehicle separate and not apply percentages across the board. My truck warning activated and the recommended tire pressure is 36 and the low tire was 30 .

Volvo: Why are you attempting to answer questions I directed to Nevada about the pic of what I assumed was from his vehicle"s direct TPMS? Are you familiar with his specific vehicle? What type of vehicle is it? year? Recommended psi ? OEM or after market TPMS You are correct. I am new to the TPMS controversy because of the unfathomable indirect TPMS in my Honda Civic and am trying to discover if there are similar quirks with factory installed TPMS before I dump the Honda.

That tire pressure display is found in the 2010-2015 Lexus RX450h.
The correct tire pressure is 33 PSI, the warning indicator turns on when a tire is 6 PSI below the set pressure.

Lexus vehicles have adjustable low tire thresholds. From viewing the display someone has initialized the system while the tires had at least 37 PSI in them, that would set the base line at 37 PSI and cause the warning indicator to turn on at 31 PSI. The low tire pressure thresholds are frequently found to be way off after a tire shop or the vehicle owner has been messing with the initialization switch.

An owner of a Lexus or a tire shop can set a baseline psi to whatever they want? This sounds bizarre. I suggest you find a new tire shop,

Interesting tidbit. I was once testing a Civic. Shortly after my first drive began the TPMS light went off. I pulled into a rest area and used my pressure gauge to see which tire was low. They were all inflated to about 60 PSI. Yup, sixty pounds per square inch. Interestingly, I didn’t notice any harshness or bad road manners. Which was a surprise. I lowered them all to the suggested range of about 35 psi, reset the alarm using the manual’s instructions and it stayed off for the rest of the test week. I am glad the person who inflated them lived. Now I check the PSI of every test car before I drive it. They are almost always spot-on. Sometimes just a bit low (in winter).

Right after I took delivery of my '81 Chevy Citation, I couldn’t help noticing that it rode like a truck. As soon as I got home, I checked the tire pressure, and it was 55 psi in each tire.
Pre-delivery inspection?
What’s that?

:thinking:

All of our new vehicles arrive with 55 PSI in the tires, perhaps the car you had bypassed the new car prep dept.

I never knew that. I bet that’s what happened.

I live in a climate of below 0 and 90+ F, our cars and our fleet cars I do not recall any cars needing pressure adjustments due to temperature.