Tire Pressure Warning Light

So I started my car this morning and I see my tire pressure light on. I would assume that it is because of the temperature drop. How would I fix my tire pressure and is it safe to continue driving because temperature is going back up next week?

Does the Corolla display individual tire pressures or just have a TPMS light? Regardless, check the individual tire pressure with a good quality dial type tire pressure gauge. I have been satisfied with this gauge.

I add a few PSI (3 to 4) to my vehicle tires in the fall to compensate for the cooler temps. There is roughly a 1 psi decrease in tire pressure for each 10 degree drop in temperature. Once the tire pressures are correct reset the TPMS light (see manual).

"How would I fix my tire pressure…"

Uh, put air in the tire??

Open the driver side door and look at the door frame. There will be a sticker that tells you what PSI the front and back tires should be set to. It’s important to have them set properly, not just “good enough to make the light go off,” because otherwise you’ll get premature tire wear.

Also be sure to check the spare.

OK thanks for your responses, I have never experienced putting air in my tire before so I am a bit lost haha I also don’t have a tire pressure gauge so I have no idea what PSI my tires have right now…

“is it safe to continue driving because temperature is going back up next week?”

Low tire pressure causes the sidewall of the tire to flex much more than it should, which leads to a build-up heat in the tire’s carcass. Under certain circumstances–such as a sustained high-speed drive–this can lead to tire blowouts. Unless someone is very skilled in piloting a car with a blown-out tire at high speed, this can lead a fatal accident.

That being said, nobody knows just how low your tire pressure might be.
You need to invest in a good-quality dial-type tire pressure gauge (do NOT buy the “Slime” brand, as it is junk) in order to assess the current pressure, and to know how much air you need to add to the tires. Ideally, this should be done when the tires are “cold”–meaning before driving.

Then, try to get into the habit of checking the pressure at least once a month. In addition to getting better handling, better gas mileage, and being safer, you will also get an “up close and personal” look at your tires, which can alert you to unusual wear patterns.

I’d suggest hooking up with a friend who has basic car knowledge and asking him/her to show you how to check the air in your tires, how to add air, and even help you select your pressure gage.

After you set the air to the appropriate pressure, read your owner’s manual on how to “reinitialize” the TPMS system. Your friend can probably help you with this too.

Congratulations on your new car. Properly maintained, you’ll get many trouble free years out of it. I’d recommend that you read the owner’s manual thoroughly, post any questions here, and learn how to maintain it properly. Perhaps the most critical thing is to routinely monitor the oil and other fluids. It only takes a moment, and you should get in the habit of doing at least the oil once a week. Monitoring coolant is also important. Perhaps your friend can teach you what to look for. Monitoring tire wear is also important.

You’re unlikely to find any anomalies at first, but as the car ages you’ll be glad you got in the habit early.

It could mean that you have a nail or screw in one of your tires and it has caused a slow leak. Take your car to a mechanic nearby and have the tires checked as soon as possible. It could save you a lot of trouble and put your mind at ease.

I’m looking to buy a tire pressure gauge but should I also purchase a tire inflator such as http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002ZBWKAU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1416335952&sr=8-1
Instead of paying for air at a gas station?

On many cars, the light comes on only when the tire is seriously underinflated, just so you know. You don’t want to let things get to that point.

If it wasn’t clear from the responses above, driving with incorrect tire pressures will wear out your tires more quickly, costing you money.

An inflator is a good idea. Even the cheap ones should be able to add the air you need if you check your tires regularly. However, keep in mind that they can overheat if you run them for a long time because of letting your tires get too low, in which case you’ll need to take a long break between tires. I actually prefer a cordless inflator for extra convenience, although the cost is much higher.

Don’t forget to check your spare tire regularly as well. I actually overinflate my spare tire when checking it, as I can easily let out air if it’s still too high when the tire is put on the car.

Do they still have full-service stations in your area? Pony up for the extra $0.50/gallon, once, and watch how it’s done.

Really, though, every driver/car owner ought to know how to pump gas, check tire pressure, and top off fluids…regardless of whether they actually do it. Pumping up a car tire is exactly the same procedure as inflating a bicycle tire, an inner tube or certain beach rafts.

I agree that using an inflator like that one will work just fine. I’ve been using a similar one since the tank on my compressor developed a rust hole a couple of months ago.

Most tire dealers will air up tires for free and with a 2014 the dealer might do the same as a courtesy .

I agree that Slime is terrible, but I must say that in general I have not been able to zero in on a good brand of tire gauge, and I have not found that dial type or digital type have been any better than pencil type.

To keep your tires topped off, these inflators work fine. I’m pleased to see that you asked.

You’ve been very focused on keeping your new car in tip-top shape, and it has not gone unnoticed. Ask any and all questions, keep up the good work, and your Corolla will last you a very long time.

Re: slime… I hate that stuff.

Here’s a source for high quality low pressure gages. It’d be real easy to hook one up to a flex hose with a Schrader valve connection.
http://www.globalindustrial.com/c/tools/pressure-gauges/industrial-gauges

My Corolla takes 32 psi. My tire low pressure tripped at 22 psi. I have 1 tire that loses pressure very slowly. I just check it every couple of weeks.

You might want to get that one checked out. You might have a simple nail.

Yes, you should buy your own tire inflator, although I don’t recommend that one that you seem to have zeroed-in on.

I have owned a few different inflators over the years, as they only seem to last for…maybe…7 years or so. Most of them vibrate very badly, and tend to be very slow. For my newest inflator, I decided to spend a bit more money, and the extra cost is worth it, IMHO.

This model is vibration-free, much faster than other inflators, and has a very nice twist-on attachment to the tire’s inflation valve: