Clunking noise - 2013 Nissan Altima

clunking noise at slow speed from driver side. Not struts or wheel related so far. 50k miles on car.

Does it clunk more on turns? Have the constant velocity joint checked.

No. Just at low speeds.

Does it happen when driving over bumps?

No connection to bumps. Happens at low speed (below 30).

Did you have brakes done recently?

When I had a similar symptom it was a rear tire-tread wear pattern. But if you are certain it is unrelated to the tires and wheels, and not the half-shaft (cv joints etc), no idea.

I had a friend discover the problem. There is a plastic piece on the underside under back seat driver’s side and one side had come unscrewed so it was hitting the road.

George,
The tires are currently in need of repair but regarding the noise, I had a friend discover the problem. There is a plastic piece on the underside under back seat driver’s side and one side had come unscrewed so it was hitting the road.

I’m really curious. Are your tires constantly losing air?
Unless you are having a problem with pressure loss, I’m having a hard time understanding what type of tire repairs you are referring to.

1 Like

Hi, Sorry I used the wrong word, should be “replace”. The tires are a bit worn out but it was the loose plastic cover of something what had unscrewed on one end and was dragging down the road. Why the tire shop didn’t see that is beyond me, other than they didn’t look.