Clunkers For "Beer Bikes" Program In The U.SA.?

Amsterdam has “Beer Bikes” and “Karaoke Bikes” that can carry 10 to 22 participating passengers. The passengers are powered by 30 liters of beer and in turn power the bike. A designated driver operates the zero pollution (almost zero, we’re talking 30 liters of beer).

The question is would this work in the U.S.A.? Many people are concerned about global warming and energy independence and this just could be the solution.

Here’s another question. Do you think people should be able to use their “cash for clunkers” credits for the purchase of “Beer Bikes”.

Don’t be too quick to condemn this idea. Give it some serious thought. It has as much or more merit than some of the ideas currently being floated by Washington.

http://beerbike.co.uk/

CSA

http://beerbike.co.uk/

In the USA it’s impossible to get 10 people to work in harmony on ANYTHING!

And the cops would arrest the riders for DWI.

Nope. The “cash for clunkers” idea is as much to get people to buy the new Government Motors cars as it is about global warming. It’s a back door bailout, a way to pump more tax dollars into the auto industry while trying to hide the fact from the taxpayers.

I Don’t Think I Will Shop At Government Motors.

One thing that could get 10 (or 22) people in America to pedal together is the fact that the Beer Bike riders sit at a bar! It could be kind of like a rolling CHEERS on your commute home from work. You can stop for a cold one and still get home on time.

CSA

“In the USA it’s impossible to get 10 people to work in harmony on ANYTHING!”

You could find way more than 10 college age kids to do this in just about any college town, including DC at George Washington, University of Maryland, American University, Howard University, and maybe even Georgetown University.

“The “cash for clunkers” idea is as much to get people to buy the new Government Motors cars…”

I disagree. The way the program is constructed discourages buying new cars. It really is meant to get old cars and trucks with very low gas mileage (< 18 MPG) off the road, but replacement is geared to used cars with better gas mileage. The clunkers can’t be resold; the engine has to be destroyed for the seller to get the money. And the money ($3500 to $4500) won’t come close to buying a new car. I think that the people this would make sense for can’t afford a new car and that’s why they drive the clunker. Also, who would trade in a car worth even $6000 if all they get is $4500 or less?

Yes, I agree that this wouldn’t work, as it would result in numerous BWI charges.

But this raises an interesting point: if a drunk’s riding a bicycle home from the bar, presumably he’s doing this rather than drive.

Considering this, would it be a valid “harm-reduction” policy to allow “bicycle amnesty,” or is society better served by citing for BWI, even though that might cause more automobile DWI if the penalties are similar.

There Will Soon Be Laws To Cover This. I Can Only Guess That They Are In The Works.

There are numerous cases of people being arrested for riding a bicycle drunk. Yes, in most states bicycles are subject to that same law.

“There are numerous cases of people being arrested for riding a bicycle drunk. Yes, in most states bicycles are subject to that same law.”

IMO that is not important. There is a sober driver/guide according to the web site. The drinkers only provide power. If you aren’t driving, what law are you breaking?