Close Calls In Driving Mean Eventual Major Wrecks

Pushing the limits is for competitive driving, not for commuting. Keeping things reasonable and considerate is far more likely to avoid problems and stress.

I dunno, I’ve got to give some slack on deer and other stupid animals. Especially at night. There’s just no predicting what they will do and where they will be. Every year some poor person has hit a deer with their bike and been killed. Just tough to avoid. I stopped for three once and there they stood in the middle of the road-then started, then stopped, then turned around, stopped, started. I could’a had my lunch waiting for them. I agree though if you swerve, you’d better know your car limits. I went to the limit on the shoulder once avoiding one. When I got home I looked at my car and had deer hair on my plastic rub strip.

I just hate those little suckers. A poor guy up north was attacked by one a couple weeks ago. Came out of his barn and the thing gets up on its hind legs and starts beating him in the face. At least he got to his house, loaded his gun and took care of him. Had a couple just watching me pick up sticks in the yard. Thought maybe they knew I was a deer killer and wanted to rumble or something. They probably know its a felony to shoot in town but it might be worth it. Deer, racoons, geese, snakes, and mice-just no use for 'em.

The closest I’ve come to hitting a deer was on a curvy boulevard that runs through a major hospital and series of medical and office buildings. There is a small wooded area just across the road, but it is utterly surrounded by an urban area.

I had a deer run from the hospital parking lot, leap in front of my car, and disappear into the woods at about 11PM one night. There are a lot of deer in my area, but this was a very surprising place to see one.

Years ago I stopped at a mid-west truck stop to eat. Next to me were four truck drivers in the diner discussing their driving records. Apparently one of them had just hit the 1,000,000 mile mark in his career.

I listened as I ate. Their conversation went onto something I’ve never forgotten, which was:
“If you ever get into an accident, it’s always your fault for not having anticipated it.”

I’ve often thought about that over the years. While I don’t believe it’s 100% true, I do believe driving with that attitude will reduce unforeseen accidents.

I agree that many accidents, especially industrial disasters, are the culmination of several factors. The infamous Bhopal, India disaster was the result of much neglect, poor maintenance and entire safety backup systems being out of commission.

Human attention span being what it is, leaving a safe gap between you and the other traffic is wise. I also took the military driving training, and as with the AAA defensive driving course, taught me a lot about being able to react to other’s mistakes.

In Driving the biggest “always fixable variables” are your speed and your following distance These are your thinking time and how much energy you have to dissipate in an emergency to stop. These are always within your independent control.

In terms of cornering, I consider my run off room and the road conditions as factors.

Near misses will eventually catch you.

Certainly be aware and alert, but don’t make a life study out of accident avoidance.

Translated: don’t bother with defensive driving? How funny.

"Near misses will eventually catch you. "

Isn’t a “near miss” actually a hit?
For instance, when looking at a train wreck you might say “Look at that mangled mess - they nearly missed…”.

Close only counts in hand grenades and Horseshoes, But having close encounters should set off a flag, I have had a few, may have a few more, but if you are experiencing let us say more than 1 close encounter a year it is time to reevaluate your driving habits.

Agree with ^^^ from Barkydog as well. As a matter of fact, I came closer to a deer just this morning than I would have liked. Granted, the little guy was about 75 yards from me, but it was a wake up call. I know that road had plenty of deer running on it. Why did it take until I was 75 yards away before I realized he was there? Especially when I can’t afford a new car right just yet.

“Close only counts in hand grenades and Horseshoes…”

And nuclear explosions

Sometimes, you have to be careful what you wish for when you are driving.
This morning, I had to briefly contend with a driver in front of me, who was driving about 35 mph a 45 mph zone, on a dry rural road with no other traffic in sight. I really wished that he/she would drive faster.

Then, after about 1/2 mile, when it came time for my first turn, that same person was still in front of me, driving like a snail. Since it is a no-passing zone, I had to just fume as I crawled along in back of him/her.

Well, about 20 seconds after making that turn, a mature female deer burst from a thicket of trees and ran directly in front of that car. While that slow driver did manage to avoid the deer, I have to wonder…If that bothersome car had not been in front of me, isn’t it possible that I would have been in just the right place–at the wrong time–and I would have hit that deer?

As A person in the cant wait a minute IT industry I have maintained a no cell phone policy. If I am in the office or at home for a select few you can call me. Otherwise its email. And if I am not at home or the office you just need to wait. There is nothing so important that I need to be distracted by a phone while driving. In reality all these stress deals can cool for 15-45 minutes. Do not pick up the phone while driving. Just my 2c.

"… and eat plenty of fiber."
That has caused me some “close calls”.
I drive gently. Accelerate gently, look ahead and coast.