Climate Control Blower/Fan working intermittently

The climate control/blower fan on my 2013 mustang has been working intermittently for the past couple weeks.

Some days it will work perfectly as it’s supposed to on all speeds on the climate control dial.

Other days I will turn it on and no air whatsoever will be coming from the vents on any speed/setting, however the AC light is illuminated.

Other days I will turn it on, and it will blow air as if it were on the lowest fan speed regardless of how high/low I turn the climate control knob.

I’ve pretty much eliminated a fuse/relay issue. For starters, if a fuse or relay was blown, the blower motor wouldn’t work intermittently. It would either work all the time or never. But just to double check, I looked up a fuse diagram and checked all the fuses and relays that have anything to do with the fan, blower motor and climate control and they all looked fine. Also tried swapping suspect ones (that looked fine but just to double check) with ones that definitely worked and they all passed the test. (Ie swapping the starter relay with blower motor relay and then trying to start the car)

I’ve eliminated the blower motor resistor to be the issue because when that goes bad, usually high speed will work and the lower speeds will not, however mine doesn’t work intermittently at any speed.

I think I might attribute this to the blower motor being weak, however, when the climate control fan does decide to work, it works 100%, AC very cold and fan blows hard on highest setting as it should and low on the lower settings as it should. There aren’t any weird noises behind the dash, and the blower motor never makes any weird noises.

I just finished checking all the fuses and relays in the engine and passenger fuse boxes. I physically removed all of them, looked at them and put them back. Now the blower seems to be working. I tried turning it on and off many times at all speeds and it seems to be working now.

I’ve read on some forums that removing and reinstalling a fuse/relay can help, since sometimes the switch contacts can get “stuck” and removing them unsticks them and causes them to work again…Besides that, all I can think of that could be causing the problem is a weak/failing blower motor, would this be an accurate guess? Again though, it’s not making any noises and when it works it works 100%. Almost seems like a wiring issue or something…If something could be failing I want to fix the problem before next weekend because I am taking a long road trip with my gf and I do not want the climate control fan to randomly not turn on.

read numbers 3 and 4.

Ford Mustang AC blower motor not working - causes and diagnosis (wheelsjoint.com)

1 Like

The next time the blower stops working, pull over, stop the vehicle, and as it’s idling, take something like the handle of a screwdriver and rap on the blower motor.

If the blower starts working, replace the blower motor.

Tester

2 Likes

Sounds like the brushes on the blower motor have worn out. I had this issue with my '85 Corolla. No New blower motors available at the time, the Junk Yard wanted me to buy the entire heater/evaporator assembly for several hundred dollars, I took the motor out and noticed a lot of brush dust. Opened the case and pulled out brush springs with only stumps of brushes.

I went to Ace Hardware and bought new brushes for under $2.00, the new ones required a bit of sanding to fit, and they have been in there for over 15-years now…

1 Like