Civic or Fit?

I checked the sticker on the door pillar of my 98 Civic and its GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) is 850 pounds. Make sure you check the GVWR of your new car and make sure you don’t exceed it. This will include the weight of the kayaks, the roof rack, the bicycles, the bicycle rack, the people, and all cargo loaded inside the car. As much as I hate to admit it, it sounds like you might have more stuff than a Civic can handle. If you still go with the Civic, make sure you don’t overload it.

Thanks - it helps to know how exactly to calculate the weight of this stuff to compare it to the GVWR.

i think that either a civic or fit would probably work for this job, because the bikes and kayaks can all be handles via bike racks on the back, and the roof rack, however, i recently recommended a fit for my aunt, and she did indeed buy one (though she just uses it around a city) but when she went on a decently long road trip (chicago to st. louis) she complained to me about the winds noticeable effect on the small fit. the fit is a great car, but if you are going on several long trips, i would probably say the civic will be a better long trip car, though the fit will sufice im sure (and with its folding rear seats, you will have PLENTY of room back there for camping gear, and maybe even one of the bikes. either car will work really, but the civic might be easier on your rear end on a long trip, and less seseptible to being shaken by the wind

Most people exceed the GVW for passengers and luggage. However, should you get into an accident or get blown off the road, your insurance company may get legalistic and if they determine you exceeded the allowable load, may resist paying out.

On my 2007 Corolla, the allowable passenger & luggage is 850 lbs. Assuming your Civic has the same rating, and you and your partner weigh about 300 lbs together , that allows you 550 lbs for all your gear.

As a professional I have to bring this up, and make you aware of the legal implications. I’m sure you have thought about this already.

Think about what will happen if you get into a head-on collision with all that stuff in a small buggy. I’m a retire cop and I’ve seen what happens. It’s not usually pretty!! I think the pickup suggestion is the best idea.

Well, now that we have a rough idea how much you haul and after seeing the specs, I would definitely recommend you NOT get the LX. That much is a no-brainer.

Please, check the specs and fuel consumption differences between the EX and the LX. That LX just isn’t producing enough low-end power for my tastes.

By the way, I really like hitch-mount bike racks. The big advantage: You can still get into the trunk with the rack mounted. I have installed Hidden Hitches on my cars. They are very well named; you just can’t see them. I did this to my GLI and the Maxima. My bikes are extremely light, though. Consult the users manual on this topic; if the weight of your bikes plus the rack does not exceed your tongue weight, you’re in business.

The Civic doesn’t have a tongue weight. The owner’s manual says it isn’t designed for towing at all.

If you lay the back seats down, you can get to into the trunk without opening it.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but I think you just answered the entire debate.

Fit: No.

Civic: No.

Sorry.

Look at the Accord.

Are you buying new or slightly used? You can save a bundle on lightly used car versus a brand new car (this could be a new thread in itself). You can actually buy a nice used Accord for the price of a brand new Civic. Too bad they don?t make the Honda Accord Wagon anymore. You could really use one.

The Honda Civic Hybrid with manual transmission is a great car. The off-the-line acceleration is surprisingly good given the added low-end torque of the electric motor. A manual allows you to ?wind it up? and get the most out of it. It is a bit short legged on the highway though. My friend gets 45mpg on a mix of highway/city driving and she?s a real lead foot. As others have stated, the new Civics have nearly grown to the size of the old Accords.

The Honda Fit Sport with the shift paddles is a terrific little go-cart of a car but, as you?ve stated, is way too small for all your gear. It also gets surprising poor mileage for such a small car since IMHO it just begs to be thrashed. Beware the difference between ?real life? mpg and the sticker?I?ve averaged 29mpg on an automatic with a mix of city/hwy driving. There have been a couple of threads about poor fuel economy in Honda Fits. It also has a type of dark carpet that sand really bonds to so it?s tough to keep clean.

What you really need is a Subaru Legacy/Outback Wagon! If you get a manual non-turbo (if they’re still available), the gas mileage isn?t too bad for an AWD car. Your car won?t get stuck in the sand/mud depending upon where you launch your kayak. I?m also a kayaker/cyclist/camper and you?d be amazed at how much stuff you can haul on top and inside a wagon. The longer roofline allows for a stronger, more stable, and safer rack setup and reduces the stress on your kayaks and car at the attachment points. The downside to owning a wagon is all your friends will be bumming rides off of you or asking to borrow your car. Can you borrow a Subaru wagon from a friend for your trips?

I?m sure you already know about watching the exhaust and the bike tires on the trunk lid rack. I don?t know if you?ve considered the wider crossbars that allow you to put bikes and kayaks on the roof rack at the same time. It?ll hurt your gas mileage but your bikes would be safer (watch out for pedestrians at crosswalks though). However, I don?t know if a Civic could handle that load. I know, get a Subaru Wagon?

Happy Trails?

For what the OP wants to do, the Scion xB is the perfect vehicle. Tons of space, long flat roof, reasonably good fuel economy, etc. That is the exact vehicle I would buy. One member in our hiking group has a Honda Element; simlar to the Scion xB. She carries mountain bikes and an incredible amount of gear. Another recommended one.

At the risk of taking this in an entirely new direction, I will, well, take this in an entirely new direction.

Altima Hybrid.