Choke

I am the proud owner of a 86’ Olds Cutlass Ciera Broughman. My problem is that the choke is stuck in the on position. I have tried spraying carb/choke cleaner in it hoping that would work but to no avail. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

If you look on the side of the carburator, you’ll see a round black plastic cover with a wire going to it. This is the choke stat. That wire supplies voltage to a bi-metal spring under this cover. As this spring heats up it opens the choke. First check for voltage at this wire with the engine running. If there’s no voltage you’ll need to trace the wire to determine why. If there is voltage, then the choke stat is probably defective and requires replacement.

Tester

Could you tell me the manufacture of the carb in question.In the extreme a removal of the choke shaft and a reaming of the body casting including removing all “burrs” on the choke butterfly shaft.

A carb on a 86 Olds?

There should be choke pull-off mechanism, either electrically or vacuum operated. Perhaps this device is not working and holding the choke plate closed.

Can you move the choke manually?

If I recall correctly, this is an electric choke so make sure you’re getting power to it!

Yes, more info would be helpful to pin it down, but my bet is on a bad pull-off as well. You might be able to start it by proping the choke open