Chirping noises

My 05 Chevy 4 cyl 2.2 ltr is making chirping noises, like crickets being shook up in my glove box. The noise starts usually around 60 mph and isn’t affected by using the brakes. The noise goes away as the car slows down. Any idea what this could be?

Does turning on or off the air conditioning make any difference while it is happening? Make sure car is not set to defrost position as that will cylce the ac.

I’ve had the blower on/off set to heat not ac or defrost and this didn’t make a difference… I was thinking it may have something to do with the suspension but seems like if it were it would make this noise at any speed and especially on the dirt road I live on.

The only time I can recall a car making what I’d call cricket like noises it was the right front wheel bearing which self destructed about 50 miles later. That is not especially safe as the wheel bearing sort of holds the wheel on.

I don’t want to frighten you, but I think it would be a pretty good idea to try to figure out real soon if the problem is the suspension, one of the belt driven gidgies like the alternator, or something else.

Thanks vtcodger2, I’ve had wheel bearings go on other vehicles, but never heard this type of noise, it was more of a grinding or clunking in that instance. The car has only 39,000 miles on it so I hope its only a belt problem. Seems like if it were a belt I should be able to open the hood and run/warm up the engine, then accellerate and try to replicate the noise. I’ll have to give it a try.

You could get a mechanic to put it on a lift and “drive” it up to 60 and listen for the problem.

Good idea, thanks circuitsmith