Chevy Volt Batt replacement cost?

What is the cost of Chevy Volt Batt replacement on Gen1?

Tester

1 Like

It’s a lot of money and that’s just a rough estimate! :money_mouth_face:
C$A
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

1 Like

A 3 battery packs run $11,000 for just the battery. Labor is extra. The cars themselves are not worth that much used at 8 years and 100k miles which is when the battery warranty ends.

I was at a Dealership (not Chevy) and one salesperson at the dealership said $32k and discouraged getting a Volt (he appeared searching his website) - after leaving the place, I had second thoughts and checked around - could not find the answer. Chevy dealer wanted me to call tomorrow.

Would the 3 pack makes it complete replacement?

Complete except for the 12v starter battery. Considering the Volt is discontinued, you can’t get one unless it is a leftover. Are you sure you aren’t confusing the Volt with the all electric Bolt.

Negative for Bolt

12V batt must be cheap, right?
Would the labor cost $1k?

The 12v battery might not be cheap
 don’t know.

Labor $1000??? I doubt it would be that cheap to extract 3 battery packs. Why not research this by talking to a service writer at Chevy instead of a salesman for the price?

Were closed today, Sunday

The complete battery assembly is $9100, 4.1 hours labor.
The 3 battery cell units can be serviced separately, 6.6 hours labor.

Special shipping charges apply to battery assemblies. Add diagnostic fees and sales tax to the repair cost.

2 Likes

Why “3 battery cell units” needs more labor than complete battery?
Do u have a ballpark $?

There is more labor to replace the cell units because the battery assembly must be disassembled. As mentioned earlier, the cost of three cell units is $11000.

I meant including labor?

Multiply 6.6 by the shops hourly rate. If your Chevrolet dealer charges $150 per hour the labor would be $990, plus an hour of diagnostic time.

sounds like you drive the Chevy Volt until the battery fails, at which point you get rid of the car

@Nevada_545
I got a bit more creative with my search today and got this extensive article:

Another:
https://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-279833.html

Do you really expect someone to read the lengthy article ?

It would be a very bad decision to buy a used Volt that needed a battery. Are you trying to understand the ‘what if’ case where the battery dies some time after you buy it? Simple solution: don’t buy a used Volt.

Yeah ‘what if’ case

It looks like over 100k mileage might trigger a $11k expense

We dealt with engine or Auto tranny change in combustion cars - it got cheaper. Batteries are not that - and can not have used battery.