Chevy Tahoe and ABS activating

I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe. Love the truck and have had no issues…until now. For the past 2 months, when I slow down to approx 5mph, the ABS system goes off. It doesn’t always happen and I am not sure what is setting it off. It’s kinda scary because when it happens, i need to really push down on the brakes to stop so I don’t hit the guy in front of me. I took it to a dealership who could not recreate the problem after driving it around for a few miles. They also checked the ABS system and said it showed no sign of being engaged. I asked if there was anything else they could do and they said bring it back when it happens. Frustrating. I don’t know what else to do.

I don’t know how bad a problem this is but winter is coming and I am nervous that my brakes won’t work.

There’s a Technical Service Bulletin that addresses slow speed activation of the ABS on GM vehicles. The problem occurs when rust forms under the wheel speed sensors. This rust then causes the wheel speed sensors to become misaligned with the wheel tone rings for the sensors.

The fix is to remove the wheel speed sensors, and remove any rust from their mounting surfaces. Then apply a thin coat of grease to the sensor mounting surfaces to prevent future rusting. Reinstall the wheel speed sensors.

Tester

This is something the dealer should be aware of, correct? I just wonder why the mechanics at the dealer didn’t mention this.