Chevy Impala won't start- Security system?

My 2004 Impala, 100+k miles, is occasionally not starting. The battery is fine, it’s fairly new and we had it tested. When I crank it, I get all lights and electrics but it doesn’t even make any crank noise or even try to start. I’ve read that the security system could cause this. Has anyone done this or know where I should start?

When it fails try tapping the starter with something like a screwdriver while holding key in start position. If it now starts it’s a bad starter. When it fails, leave the key in the run position. If it’s the security system, the security light will come on and not go out. Not for at least ten minutes anyway. If security light comes on and goes out after a few seconds then security system is most likely not the problem.

Try one other thing. Shift into neutral and see if the car starts. If it does…replace the neutral safety switch. This problem is as common as dirt.

I assume you’ve tried your spare key.

“The battery is fine, it’s fairly new and we had it tested.”
“When I crank it, I get all lights and electrics but it doesn’t even make any crank noise or even try to start.”

Exactly. Don’t be quick to rule out a battery problem, cables that is. Twice this year I have fixed cars that had these same symptoms (One was an Impala of the same Era, One a Ford) by removing those side-mount battery terminals, cleaning them, and re-securing them.

Humor me and give that a shot.

"I’ve read that the security system could cause this."
Yes, sir-ee! Been there, done that on an Impala, but as Pete Peters says, you should have a security light that is not acting normal, just while it’s in the no-start mode.

Do the cheapest, easiest first, the battery connections. Do You know how to safely do this? If not ask us for help. Experts are standing by.

CSA