Chevy Cruz?

I I’ve expressed my concerns about CR metjodology in the past. But I do think they’re useful for comparing consecutive years of the same car. The first year of the Cruze was not doing very well even after just one year. The second and subsequent years didn’t have as many reported problems. Automakers have a hard time fixing badly designed parts quickly. Getting problems in the plants sorted out is more likely. The CR readers filling out the survey aren’t asked whether the problem is due to poor design or poor workmanship (I do the survey). I wouldn’t expect them to know the difference, nor could I in many cases.

Yes, mtbike, that’s what I’d want to know. CR may not be perfect, but I suspect their is a fairly strong relationship between reliability after a year or two and after ten or fifteen It seems weaker for luxury vehicles, where there are so many complex electronic bits and pieces to fail. Those either never work or fail only after some years. Adequate testing should eliminate the ones that never worked. The Cruze’s dramatic improvement bothered me when I read about it. The Sonic, largely based on the Cruze, did not show similar improvement. We’ll see whether this holds up as a real improvement or if the Cruze’s reliability starts slipping back to where most GM models end up, a bit worse than average, if not abominable.

“I suspect their is a fairly strong relationship between reliability after a year or two and after ten or fifteen.”

Not me!

Being “hassle-free” in the first year or two is all about fit and finish; getting the details right. Being around in 15 years is durability; has little to with “sweating the details” and way more to do with how the big-ticket items are engineered, rustproofing, etc.

I don’t think one has much to do with the other. Case in point: I cut my teeth in the mid-80’s, when Japanese brands were miles ahead of the domestics in fit and finish (and enjoyment to drive, giving the customer what they wanted…) They largely didn’t last as long as the domsetics…largely due to inferior rustproofing.

I like Consumer Reports. Their magazine is just the right thickness to keep an old table in my garage from rocking. I could cut the other 3 legs to match the short one but that sounds a lot like work so CR it is for now.

CR ,is kinda like those customer reviews and ratings you get on a website and some of the others only care about how many G’s the “big engine” will pull on take off-Kevin

CR isn’t perfect, but it’s the best and most comprehensive and unbiased databank out there. The bottom line is that if you pick a vehicle with a past history of reliability over a period of years based upon the best data available instead of one with a past history of poor reliability over a period of years based on the best data available, you greatly enhance your odds of getting a reliable vehicle.

If you choose instead to buy a vehicle based on its styling, its trim, its options, or the reputation it had 50 years ago, you get what you pay for. It’s your money. I support your free choice.

@wolyrobb, thanks for pointing that out. I retread the post and agree that the CVT is in the Accord.

I don’t have a problem using the CR ratings. I do think that users need to know what the rankings mean and in order to do that, other sources like Edmunds True Cost to Own and MSN Autos reliability ratings put the CR ratings in perspective.

The numbers please on the various models of Cruze,I'm sorta looking for a nice smallish car.I know Hondas are very good,but the Civics are boring me to death-Kevin

I don’t think you could go wrong with a Mazda 3, especially with the skyactiv engine/transmission

if they spelled the name right i think the Cruise would be more appealing.

i avoid products and places that use cutesy spellings

I agree that the Civic is dull, though much better after its minor makeover a while ago. The Mazda3 is a lovely car and probably the best driving car in this class. It also comes as both sedan and hatchback, a big plus for me. The current Golf is a nice car and seems well built, though long-term reliability probably will be worse than Japanese cars. The current Subaru Impreza is easily the best yet, and worth considsring if the awd will be helpful. For those of us in warm climates, it just adds complexity and cost, so not worth it.

If you din’t need a usable back seat, the Scion FR-S and its twin, the Subaru BRZ are supposed to handle very nicely. They don’t have much power, but enough to compete with economy cars. The Hyundai Veloster is of similar size, but actually has a usable rear seat, and a rear door on the right side to make getting back there easier. It has loads of character for a practical little car.

I like the FRS/BRZ. It represents an attempt to reintroduce affordable sports cars. But I tried sitting in one and someone forgot to design in comfort. The seats were abysmal. Young skinny kids might disagree.

In this year’s auto issue CR Shows reliability ratings (overall) for about ten years. The detailed ratings are only available if you subscribe to their web content. CR is just one of the publications I consult,I read every magazine and website out there to find reviews and information. Their reliability ratings come from the annual survey given out to subscribers, who might say they own a 2010 Brand X Model Y and they’ve had problems in these areas (which can run from rattles and squeaks to Transmission or Engine failure) and averaged out for that model year.

I’m skinny, if not young, so they didn’t bother me. I’m not wild about their styling, inside or out, but know it will appeal to some. And it is nice that someone’s trying to make an inexpensive sporty car. I’ve always been surprised Mazda doesn’t offer a more powerful version of the Miata (they have the engines already), and Scion/Subaru might attract a few more buyers with a higher performance model, too.

Mazda doesn’t build any of the turbocharged speed models anymore. The Skyactiv engines are nearly as powerful. Maybe Mazda will put the Skyactiv engine used in the Mazda3 into the MX-5 soon.

I seem to recall reading recently that Mazda may have plans to replace the Miata (okay, the Mazda 5 if you prefer). According to the article, its handling is no longer competitive with current competitors’ offerings. They apparently do plan to keep the new one an affordable 2-seat roadster.

Mark, I think power is great, but it drives up the cost. The thing I like about the Subarota is that it provides affordable fun with a sports car feel. If they drive the cost up by raising the performance, it’ll no longer have that attribute, and that’s the very attribute that makes it attractive. Few people would buy an FRS/BRZ if they could get a Boxster I the same price range.

Mazda is planning to replace the MIata or MX5 as one owner I know insists you call it with a new model which will also spawn a new Alfa Spider. Road & Track mentions the Skyactiv engine in the Sept Issue. Likely lighter and with up to 200hp.

Edmunds knows that an all new MX-5 will debut in the 2016 model year. The rest is speculation. It will be smaller and lighter and u SE the Skyactiv engines. But the 2L will have a few less horsepower than the current engine, and the 2.5 L will be a lot heavier. Mazda did show the new chassis at a recent auto show with the engine closer to the center of the chassis. Let’s start some rumors!

no more , zoom zoom?

The Cruze DOES have sporty seats, large bolsters keep you from moving around during spirited driving…BUT…For those on the wrong side of 200 pounds, forget it, This is a car for those under 50…Sadly, looking around in the local super-market, there are are plenty of young people on the wrong side of 200 these days…If you wear size 40 pants or bigger, better stick with trucks…

I think the Alfa tie-in with the new Miata is a bit more than speculation. It leaked very early and makes a lot of sense for both companies. Alfa lacks a suitable small rwd chassis to build a roadster on, and Mazda would love to spread develipment costs around by getting Alfa to pick up some of them. The resulting cars will likely use different engines and be styled quite differently. Of course ut could just be speculation, but I’d expect more skepticism if it were wrong.