Chevy Cobalt sloshing sounds

My new Cobalt is only a few weeks old and I’m hearing a very annoying sloshing sound when I brake. Is this a problem? Is it fixable? Would something like this be covered by the warranty?

Where is the sound coming from? There shouldn’t be anything sloshing around in the car, and, yes, it should be covered by the warranty. Take it to the dealer and demonstrate the sound to them.

2nd what Mcp said. Absolutely take it back.

The two immediate things that come to mind as possibilities are air in the cooling system, or a problem with baffles in the gas tank. Either of these things are problems that the dealership should take care of, no questions asked.

Thanks to both of you.
When I parked the car, I went around to the back of it, pushed forward on it a few times and heard the sloshing noise again, so I’m pretty sure it’s the gas tank. This doesn’t sound like an easy fix. Will the gas tank need to be replaced, if that’s the case?

If it is from the gas tank, it will almost certainly involve a new one. Be prepared to be told that the sloshing is “normal.” Go in with some more knowledge - like do some google searches to see if you can come across this problem among others.

If they tell you it’s normal, make them prove it. Test drive another new Cobalt and see if it makes the same noise. I doubt it will. When it doesn’t, tell them to make your car sound like the one with no sloshing noise.

I did several searches last night, and honestly, I saw a quite a few complaints (none with the Cobalt) but I didn’t see a one where it was resolved. Most people got the “can’t do anything about it” and “just live with it” answers. One said his gas tank (I think it was a Honda) was replaced only to have the same problem with the new tank. I bought an extended warranty with this car, so I’m checking to see what it says before going to the dealership. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

The other Cobalts on the lot may have only a very small amount of gas in their tanks, and as a result, the sloshing noise may not be apparent with them. This may sound might occur only with a tank that has more gas in it.

Thanks. That sounds like a good approach. In one of the Google searches I did, someone commented that they only heard the sound when the tank was 3/4 full, like mine is now. So maybe I should test drive one that has the same amount of fuel?

Ha, sorry. I guess are posts are crossing. But, yes, that was my concern.

Well, after several discussions with the dealer, what they’ve told me is that, as one person on here speculated, the gas tank has no baffles and there is nothing that can be down about the sloshing noise. I’m sure it was cheaper to put this kind of tank in that one with sound proofing. Maybe over time I won’t notice it, so until then, I guess it’s just “keep the radio cranked!”

Thanks for the responses.

Oh, yes, they also said they checked other Cobalts and a Malibu and they all did the same thing.

Many thanks for posting an update - it is all too rare.

I would complain a lot and ask for extra sound proofing. It probably won’t get you anywhere, but all you lose is a little time and maybe a little temper.

I would also try to verify the final story in some other ways just to make sure. If they won’t soundproof any further for you, you could likely figure out how to do it yourself.

Well, I’ve gone on several forums and I’ve seen about as many comments from people that hear the same thing as not. And not just in Cobalts. A lot of people just dismiss it. I also spoke to a friend last night who said he’s heard it in other cars he’s owned.

Your idea about asking for extra sound proofing is a good one. I can try that and see how they react. As to doing it myself, my brother mentioned undercoating with something called Ziebart, but I don’t know how expensive that is. Do you know anything about it?

Holy Toledo! Everybody sure got worked up about this one. Nobody asked how full the tank was when the noise happened, the OP gave us that info.
Let me ask, how loud is the noise? Does it sound like ocean waves ( I am being dramatic) or is it very quite when you here it? There are no baffles in fuel tanks and if you have found several people notice this with different cars then it would most likely be a something normal.
There are adhesive sound deadening pads sold at auto body supply stores. The tank would need to be dropped or lowered to stick them to the top but otherwise they can be applied to the other sides.

Hear it when the tank is down 3/4 to half. When I first noticed it, I had parked the car in the garage (no radio on) and thought something was rolling around in the trunk. Then I let the car roll a bit, hit the brake a couple times and realized it sounded like liquid moving back and forth. Went to the back of the car, pushed on it a few times, and heard the sloshing from the back.

BTW, I was just on a site that discussed the baffles in the Honda Odyssey’s fuel tank. Yes, fuel tanks do have baffles. I still believe those that don’t have been designed to cut costs. IMHO anyway.

I spoke to the dealer this morning asking if they could install some sort of soundproofing, since this was very annoying and in a brand, new car no less, etc. etc. Didn’t get very far. He suggested maybe some blankets or styrofoam in the trunk…I’m not kidding.

If this continues to bug me, I’ll check out the deadening pads you suggested. Thanks.

I stand corrected then about some tanks having baffles.

Styrofoam in the truck…that dude was reaching