Check light on

On my 91 honda accord the engine check light is on during the early morning hours, after a while the engine light turns-off without any issue.

Any idea what is wrong

I am very sorely tempted to recommend that you wait until noon each day before driving this car to alleviate this problem, but instead I will suggest that you get the codes scanned and let us know the results of said scan. If there is an Autozone car parts store near you they’ll scan the codes for you for free, or in some cases sell you a scanner, then buy it right back off you for the same price when you’re finished scanning your car.

Only with these codes can anyone give you a rational suggestion as to what might be wrong with your car.

In addition to Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts and some other auto parts stores will read the codes for free. You car is trying to tell you want is wrong, but you need to find someone (the code reader) to talk to it.

Sorry guys, this is an OBDI vehicle, so no parts store will have the proper scanner to pull codes from the computer. The person either needs to get a manual that describes on how to pull the codes or take it to someone who can.

Tester

Let me make a swag (scientifically wild burro guess). In the morning, while the dew is still on the Lily, the dew is, also, on the spark plug wires. Being ancient, and porous, said spark plug wires are permitting said dew to soak into the spark plug wires and steal the sparks away. The engine, she runs a bit rough in the morning, until the dew is gone, no? Retire (change) those retirement age spark plugs wires. Heck, whilst thou be doing that, freshen the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, too. What about the air filter and fuel filter (easy access)? If my sway is right, the check engine light is for engine misfire caused by the aforementioned near-retirees. Dew it and find out.

Go here to learn how to pull your CEL codes:

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/0c/fb/0c/0900823d800cfb0c/repairInfoPages.htm

Once you have the code number then repost here and someone should be able to help you.

Excellent post, Kit. Thanks for the chuckles.

yeah, I agree. Start with a good thorough tuneup. If that don’t do it, it may be the coil, which in that engine may be in the distributor. A “dew simulator” (simple spray bottle of water) may help diagnose the problem.

You guys like that “dew simulator”? I made that one up for the occasion.