Check engine light

2001 volvo s40. Diagostics performed. Error codes for the timing belt and temperature sensor. These were replaced. The check engine light still comes on/stays on.

The light has to be reset…was it? Did it return? What engine code could possibly be related to the T-belt? Unless it skipped a tooth the Ecu wont even know its there. What codes do you have now? List them for us if possible

Blackbird

?skipped a tooth. Going to recheck codes. The light has been reset.

Ok - so find out what the codes were and what the current codes are and post them. They look like “P1234.” Sometimes the codes are written on the invoice from the work. Big box auto parts chains will generally read the codes for free. Without those codes no one has any idea where to even start. There are no codes that will tell you anything directly about the timing belt.

Was the car running well before the work was done - when the light initially went on? Is it running well now? Was the timing belt due for replacement anyway?

Since that time, the check engine light has mysteriously gone off. I reviewed the invoices from the repairs. Here are some of the codes: P00128, P0015. ?error code for an O2 sensor as well. The car wasn’t running well before–this was in part due to a bushing that needed to be replaced. This was replaced as well. The car is running well now. Sounds like the timing belgt was due for replacement. ?why the check engine light went off and will it come back on

Since that time, the check engine light has mysteriously gone off. I reviewed the invoices from the repairs. Here are some of the codes: P00128, P0015. ?error code for an O2 sensor as well. The car wasn’t running well before–this was in part due to a bushing that needed to be replaced. This was replaced as well. The car is running well now. Sounds like the timing belgt was due for replacement. ?why the check engine light went off and will it come back on

Only MINOR engine codes will actually allow the engine light to shut off…There aren’t that many of those codes either…usually the CEL illuminates and needs to be reset…the “lighter codes” have the ability to allow the light to be shut off if the issue is not found again…so that’s sort of good news I guess…