Volvo S40 2004 Check Engine light

My mothers 2004 Volvo S40 (original body style) has an illuminated check engine light.

Dad took it to their local San Diego Volvo dealer. Unable to get a code from the cars computer and guessing the problem might be with the fuel filler cap seal, the dealer sold them a new fuel filler cap, offering them a refund on the cap should that solution not work. It did not.

Is there another solution I can offer Dad to suggest to the dealer when returning there for the filler cap refund?

Regards,

• Chris

That Was Nice Of The Dealer To Let Dad “Try” The Gas Cap.
I Hope That’s An Indication Of A Great Dealer And Not A Sign That Dad Has Been A Heavy Contributor To The Service Department’s Bottom Line And Is Therefore A Preferred Customer.

CEL lit and No codes ?
Did the dealer try and turn off the CEL ?
And . . . it wouldn’t turn off ?

It takes usually takes several engine starts to clear some codes and turn the light off after a problem is fixed.

Now, when Dad returns the cap and tells the service guys that it didn’t work, what will they say when Dad asks them if they know of a place to get a Volvo repaired ?

CSA

"when Dad returns the cap and tells the service guys that it didn’t work, what will they say when Dad asks them if they know of a place to get a Volvo repaired ?

I like that answer.