Check engine light

i have a 2000 mercedes benz c230 kompressor i bought about 6 mos. ago W 42k.

i have had trouble with the “check engine light” , & it has been in the shop over 4 times since it was purchased. today the light came on again. i’m stumped we replaced the throttle body, air intake sensor in december. runs ok, but the light is on again.

does anyone out there have any suggestions?

thanks, craig

You need to have the car scanned and to be told what the code is in order to know better what is happening. There are many things that could cause that.

absolutely,unless you have alot of cash to burn

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Regarding warning lights:

1. if the coolant temp light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

2. if the oil warning light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

3. if a FLASHING MIL/CEL comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

ASAP means driving to the berm of the highway right now and not waiting for the next exit.

But if the MIL/CEL is not flashing, then it’s not an urgent indicator.

Tighten your gas cap. If that doesn’t work, have the seals around said cap checked.

Believe it or not, that’s enough in MOST situations. I said MOST.

I HAD IT SCANNED THE OTHER TIME IT WENT ON, BUT THE TECH SAID IT WAS MINOR & MAY NOT COME BACK ON. HE TURNED IT OFF. IT NEVER CAME BACK ON FOR ABOUT A MONTH. COULD HUMIDITY CAUSE THIS? THE LAST 2 TIMES IT CAME ON DURING A RAINY DAY.
I WILL HAVE IT RESCANNED IN THE MORN. & YES, I HAVE ALREADY SPENT ABOUT 2 GRAND TO CORRECT THIS PROBLEM. BUT EVERY TIME IT CAME ON, IT WAS A DIFFERENT CODE. DO YOU RECON IT MIGHT BE A “LEMON”? I LOVE THE CAR, BUT CAN’T KEEP GOING LIKE THIS.

Many auto parts stores will do a scan for FREE! Do that and bring the codes here for advice. Replaced the throttle body?!!! Why?!