Check Engine light on RAV4

In NYS cars must pqaa inspection each year. My car is inspected in August by Toyota. Every year a week before it’s due to be checked my check engine light goes on. This year I had it inspected by an independent mechanic and it passed. A week later my check engine light went on. Does anyone else have this yearly problem?

codes please,or should we guess?

great day mate!

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Next year take your car in earlier before the light comes on.  :-)

No.

if it lights up just before a maintenance check then it must be the maintenance light. it is programmed to come on every 5000 miles…you can reset following instructions in manual.

I don’t have the manual. Can you please give me dtails.
Thank yo

You really should have an owner’s manual. If you don’t, try www.Books4Cars.com. They have inexpensive used owner’s manuals and other service books for all sorts of cars.

Without a manual how will you know what your RAV4 needs?

I have a 2001 Rav4 whose check engine light is constantly on. I took it to Toyota dealer repair and they told me it has to do with the catalytic converter and would cost about $700. Recently I found on an engine repair encyclopedia website that the 2001 Rav4 has a software error that makes the computer report a problem with the catalytic converter even when there is not one. Should I have the engine light reset, insist that Toyota updates the software, or take it to a neighborhood mechanic? Does anyone else have this problem? (The car drives fine.) Thanks!