Check Engine light came on

Hello, I have a question,

I have a 2000 hyundai sonata,(automatic) recently whilst driving my car made a skiding nose (also sound like changing of gears if u had manual shift gears) and the check engine came on, I could immediately feel the difference in the driving, its slowed down. When I stopped at a traffic light, and release brake to continue driving it had to press on a bit hard to move the car, usually after releasing brake, car will move forward slowly. now it don’t. After stop and taking engine off, and putting back on the check engine light didn’t come on. (this has happen 2 times so far)

any ideas what could be the problem. Thanks for reading.

You need to go to a place like Autozone, and get the check engine light code read and post back here. The fact the light is coming on and off generally indicates an intermittent problem. Does the slowness of start up also happen when the check engine light is off? How long before the check engine lights sets again?

You can have the car’s computer scanned at a parts store or by a mechanic to see what is causing this problem. It may be a transmission problem. Please check the transmission fluid level ASAP, and I’d suggest having the car looked at by a mechanic.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here. 

Regarding warning lights:

1. if the coolant temp light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

2. if the oil warning light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

3. if a FLASHING MIL/CEL comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

ASAP means driving to the berm of the highway right now and not waiting for the next exit.

But if the MIL/CEL is not flashing, then it’s not an urgent indicator.

Sounds like the CAM slipped, and the CEL was the CAM position sensor. I had this happen in mine, except the CAM shredded itself and I got a new engine without even having to fight over it.

Hello,
thanks for responding. there is no slowness at startup but I have to put extra pressure to get the car moving, it feels heavy. The light lasted for about 10mins until I get to stop and turn the engine off then on again, twice then I notice the light went off. First time it happen it set back after 10mins. its been one day so far it hasn’t come back on yet.

This may be quite serious, and you should get it to a good mechanic, very soon.
There are a lot of things we can guess; but, that doesn’t help much because there so many possible causes.
Realbinky may be referring to a camshaft and timing belt problem. It’s not clear: but, it is clear that there could be a problem with the timing belt / camshaft.
You car will have about 100,000 miles (average) on it. It’s time to get the timing belt changed at 100,000 miles. A worn timing belt can slip and cause much expensive harm to the engine.