Check Engine Light and Car Shaking. Cruise Control light stuck

I just got into my car with 49k miles and after I left the driveway the check engine light flashed, then went on solid as did the cruise control light. Meanwhile the car was shaking slightly. Its now parked in front of a neighbor’s house. I retightened the gas cap and turned the car back on after I let it “rest”. No improvement. Its shaking even in idle.

I’m tempted to take to Autozone to have them read the check engine light code. But I’m afraid of making the problem worse by driving it. I recently got laid off and really didn’t expect a car with so few miles to have any issues. Its a 2005 and I barely put 10k miles on it a year. (I’m the second owner and the car is out of warranty).

A flashing engine light and a shaking engine indicate a misfiring enigne. I’d drive it a few miles but only as you need to to get it somewhere to have it checked out.

check engine light flashed, then went on solid

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here. 

[b]   A flashing engine light means you should not attempt to drive the car until you find out more because substantial damage could result. [/b]