Check Engine code P2626 on 2006 Elantra

I am getting a check engine code of P2626 on my 2006 Elantra. I believe that I got the same code some years back and the mechanic told me to use premium gas for a while and the code never came back. Don’t know how bogus that was (since the code says it is related to the O2 sensor, not the fuel system) but hey, it seemed to work either way.

My light has just come on again after several years and about 40,000 miles. After having it checked at the auto parts store it’s back off, but if it goes back on I will obviously have to deal with it. Any thoughts on what i can check? I am savvy enough to know that having the O2 sensor replaced might be pointless and the problem could be one of many different things. Anyone have any good ideas for me about what to look for?

The code indicates that the heater pumping current to the front O2 sensor has an open circuit. This is usually caused by thermal shock to the O2 sensor which causes damage to the heater within the O2 sensor.

Tester

Thanks Tester, if that’s the case, what, if anything, would I likely need to check/replace?

Check if there are any fuses for the O2 sensor heater circuits and if they’re good. If the fuses are good or there aren’t any fuses for the heater circuits then more than likely the heating element inside the O2 sensor is damaged and the O2 sensor requires replacement.

Tester

Thanks for the help, though I am still working on this issue. Pulled and checked fuses and found nothing, but three startups later and the light is off again. So here is the timeline so far:

Light goes on
Got light checked and reset, stayed off for 3 or 4 starts
Light went back on
Filled up with premium gas (can this be related somehow?)
Light went back off after 2-3 starts
Light went back on after 4-5 more starts
Checked fuses, found no problems.
Light went off after another 2-3 starts.

Light is currently off. Thoughts on how to handle this on again, off again, check engine light?

The resistance of the heater circuit is most likely on the fringe of failure. Different temps = different values, some passing some not. measure the resistance of your heater circuit and compare
BTW…this is an “Air Fuel Ratio” sensor…A/F sensor