Cheap new cars or crossovers

Lol! In my opinion we have zero need for heated seats in Hawaii. Although sometimes in the dead of night in the winter, it might get into the 50s. Most of the time it’s 60s to high 80s, sometimes 90s.

I wonder if they are still working the bugs out of that 1 speed CVT, but it sounds very cool.

It does get below the 70s in the winter here at night. But never lower than 50. Right now it’s like 87 in June.

Love the Soul. Too bad it most models moved to a CVT for 2020 but it’s not a deal breaker. I heard they also have a dual clutch auto trans too this year.

The 2020 Soul is one of the most praised cars in the auto mags it seems

1 Like

I’m in love with the looks of the Veloster. I’m a huge fan of “hot hatches” in general and wish they were more popular than big SUVs. But I also love being able to see well out the back of my rear window on the freeway and the Veloster rear window looks tiny and flat. Beautiful car though. I would love to be seen driving one.

Kia Soul is “all new” design for 2020 under the skin according to Motor News TV show. It still has that almost identical body look though

Car Talk is a discussion forum. If nobody cared what anyone else thinks, the purpose of Car Talk would cease to exist.

I’m impressed with my 2018 Hyundai Accent.
Got 22k on it now, never been in the shop except for oil changes.
Long warranty, consistently 40mpg, good stereo, doesn’t burn a drop of oil between changes, icy cold ac…the positives go on and on.
Downside is very little rear seat legroom. But I’ve only stuffed the grandson back there once.
I’d buy another one

At 27k, it is way out of your budget and it is a dry clutch unit so you may need to adjust your driving style. Our baby mover has a dual clutch and it is the best automatic I’ve ever driven.

I have a 2016 Veloster Turbo, we also use it for some weekend trips up to 90 miles. My kids are not that tall and don’t complain much. But, when I look, you can get a Hyundai Kona for less than $20K and it is probably a better car as far as sitting higher and space. The rear is still a bit tight. If you want to go one size bigger, my favorite is a CPO Tucson, you can get the SEL trim with the 2.0 engine. A bit underpowered but better than the 2.4 Theta II engine with its issues. Can get a CPO for around $16K.

The automatic costs a few thousands less than the manual transmission. Then depending on the package. I really like the look of the 14’ hatchback. The 20’ is just the cherry on the cake. I wish Mazda would come out with a new MazdaSpeed3.

1 Like

Rear viz is actually pretty good. It has 2 rear windows like the old CRXs did. I’ve never had an issue seeing what I need to see out of it.

2 Likes

I should have got a 2018 Accent. They sound good

That’s good news to me.

Dry clutch is scary. That’s the kind that Ford got in trouble with its Focus and Fiesta. All kinds of problems. The entry level CVT Soul is available around $21,000 here.

1 Like

Maybe they will come out with a Mazda Speed 3 again. Would be cool to have rotary engines like RX7 too. All the cool old stuff

Yeah, I want to stay away from those Theta II engines. I hope the Kona doesn’t have that engine but I’m not sure. Actually I hope Hyundai doesn’t use the Theta II in any of its cars anymore.

Did the off lease Acura he bought come with a warranty? If so, I’m curious as to what is covered. But yeah off lease cars are usually treated gently I hope. Sounds like one option but I would prefer something that also includes some type of warranty rather than “as-is” just in case something goes wrong

Reportedly the 3 gets the turbo four as s top trim level for 2921, same engine that’s already an option for the CX-5, not a Mazdaspeed version sadly.