Cheap Cheap Car

Not a bad suggestion @Cadddyman. P71s (or in this case a later P7B) handle like a four door sports car, perform well, and have been scrupulously maintained. Unfortunately that one is in Denver, but I’ll bet there is one in Cali too. The OP should check out www.govdeals.com for one in his area too. They are a bit harder to deal with than ebay as far as payment and pickup are concerned, but they have a good selection of government owned vehicles.

For a teen, I would avoid a car with a timing belt

The previous owner may very well have not changed it, or it’s way overdue

It’s sometimes a major expense, especially if you’re paying somebody to replace it. And most teens I know of don’t have a lot of money to spend, especially not on car maintenance

My vote is for the Crown Vic, or Mercury Grand Marquis, also even if they’re not the 2 door sports car type that may be desired. They still look good for a 4 door and in the right color and wheel combination can look sinister actually. I love the black steel wheels on black body models.

The cab company here buys Crown Vics as the PD retires them and runs the stuffing out of them day after day after repainting them. Apparently the guy in charge of color selection is color blind; the pastel shades of blue, green, and rose red/Mary Kay pink make me a bit queasy…

When cheap, reliable transportation is the objective a Mary Kay pink Aztec would be a good candidate since the potential buyers are rare. The buyers who put fashion trends and performance at the top of their list often find themselves here soon after taking delivery. An Astro van, especially pink or with faux wood on the sides would have OBO painted on the side in large print. And I read somewhere that they were the most dangerous vehicles on the road because they were so easily patched up by DIYers. If properly maintained and repaired they should be as good a vehicle dollar for dollar as a Crown Vic. Mechanically they are Chevrolet pickups.

But to each his own. I had my fun with Austin Healeys, MGs and Triumps long ago but had the tools and experience to make most repairs and there was always a dependable daily driver in the driveway.

It could be that at some point in the future the Azteks will be collectible due to the ugly stigma attached to them.

In the not too distant past I don’t think anyone ever saw these being very desireable either including me. Sixty plus bids…

Brand new Fiats weren’t reliable let alone 40 year old ones. I’d just stick to a GM or Ford product, the newest you can find for that kind of money. You will pay a premium for a Honda, Toyota without a compensating increase in quality. Chryslers have some problems as they age and Kia etc. from that era may not be the best.

Astros are actually unibody . . .

But yes, mechanically, they have a lot in common with the S10

I’m not sure if I’d call an Astro a model of reliability, but they’re usually pretty straightforward to diagnose and repair

High mileage can be OK if the vehicle was well-maintained and the car make/model has a good reputation for reliability. If possible you’d want to verify that that the recommended maintenance had been done & costly stuff like timing belt, struts/shocks, were not neglected. Check out a Consumer Reports review of used cars to find out what may be in your price range & how it’s reliability measures up.

I want a cheap car to drive… how about a Fiat or Triumph?
That is an oxymoron, a cheap Fiat or Triumph won’t get driven, they will always be broken…
California? Buy a 60’s vintage Dodge Dart with a slant 6 engine or an old VW Beetle. Either could be fixed with a screwdriver, channel lock pliers or a hammer. Old books in the library can show you how to fix 'em.

My daughter is doing well with her 2003 Saturn sl, right price range and most mechanics can work on it.

Any $2000 70’s Fiat or Triumph is going to be in rough shape. These cars are appreciating these days. My 1974 TR6, was appraised at $13k about 5 years ago. And it’s not in concurs condition. I’d put it between “good” and “very good”. Most $2000 Triumphs or MG’s I see aren’t in running condition or they do run, but are in otherwise poor condition. And either a 40 year old Fiat or Triumph would be a staggeringly poor choice for daily driver. They weren’t very reliable by the standards of their day, and by today’s standards they are appallingly unreliable. These are cars are hobbies first and foremost. I take mine out to Cars and Coffee during the spring and summer, and occasionally out to social events, but I only put maybe 400 miles a year on it on average, and every year there are at least two things that crop up and need to be fixed.

I like the used Crown Vic suggestions the others have mentioned, that’s a good choice for a 16 year old IMHO. Though I disagree that the P71’s handle like a “4 door sports car”. I sold these things by dozen when I worked for Ford, and I never once thought to myself “I’ll bet this Crown Vic could beat an M5 or CTS-V around the Nürburgring”

Mustangman recommended a Dart and all the reviews online say they are a very dependable car. What do you guys think? Thanks.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4905861286.html

A transmission rebuild at 51K is odd. Those old Torqueflite transmissions were bulletproof. I put 110K on a '68 Valiant with this drive train and it never needed a tow. Offer him $1500.

@insightful Yes, I had a 1965 Dodge Dart with the 273 V8 and 3 speed Torqueflite. When we scrapped the car after 13 years and 155,000 miles the only item still working like new was the transmission!

I had a 68 Dart and the engine and trans were generally fine after 108,000. A few issues with their vacuum controls and the points were a bear to get right but otherwise ok. The brakes though required a total replacement.

OK Mitchy, did you buy yourself a Dart? The craigslist posting has disappeared.

No I did not someone else must have
Any thoughts on Thunderbirds? Just found a really cheap one

I like them. what year?

https://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/4911536710.html

oh my goodness. buy buy buy! if its motor and tranny are good. hope you have gas money and don t drive crazy. that , my man, is a beast!