Cheap Cheap Car

It needs TLC. If not the engine that runs well, what else does it need? You need to get it evaluated to see what it needs before you buy.

One more thing: I bet you get about 12 MPG around town.

this car is relatively easy and cheap to do repairs on, you will have to get the basic tools and a repair manual, because it will need some work. the original fuel system wasn t built for todays gas w/ethanol, so, if it hasn t been done already, you ll want to get the carb rebuilt, and probably replace any rubber fuel lines. the replacement parts will be compatible with ethanol gas.

then the brakes will probably need work. no biggie. I would love this car, but it will take some work if you want to keep it for more than a year or two. I don t think it will last long before it sells if the engine and transmission are good. a 460 is a serious engine.

…I don t think I d even haggle , and that is rare for me. I m in love with the stupid car.

@wesw Never fall in love with a car; it won’t love you back! My brother bought his “dream car” in the 70s, a Green T Bird with white leather interior. That year they used the Lincoln platform, and it was a thirsty and unreliable beast.

He soon longed for his old Mercury 4 door where you could actually get into the backseat without throwing your back out. The T Bird was a 2 door with seat and shoulder belts obstructing entry in to the back seat. Visibility to the rear was atrocious. as well.

The listing for the Thunderbird has warning flags for me. No phone number to call. States project car and needs TLC , that tells me that it is a potential money pit. And Mitchy are your parents on board with you or are you just wishing on Craigslist. You will have to be on their insurance so they basically have the final say.
The financial adviser on radio Clark Howard from Atlanta really does not care for Craigslist as a place to find cars.

my first 75 ford supercab with the 390 loved me…

I think my new 75 ford supercab with the 360 is starting to like me…

he is 40 yrs old this year!

oh yeah becareful you don t get robbed when you go look at the car…

The infamous and all too common Craigslist robberies . . .

Probably good to never go alone

I don’t want to disagree but I had a 73 Lincoln that looked an awful lot like this one. It was not a cheap car to run or repair even though we bought it cheap. The tail light alone was $80 back in like 1980. Tires were high, electrical problems, but it drove like a dream and served its purpose well as a school commuter for my wife at the time. Our neighbor called it the pimpmobile.

I would not buy a car described as a “Project.”

Cars like that 1973 Thunderbird can be found in relatively good condition and garage kept by long term owners. This may be a good value for someone who wants the experience of driving an old car without the expense of a complete restoration.

These cars are cheap because they are of little interest to collectors. The dull body styling of the '70s, 5000# plus in weight and an enormous 200 horsepower engine. It is a shame that these cars are striped down and used on the race track as street class race cars.

I predict that this car will be so boring to drive (and thirsty) that you will move on after three months.

https://modesto.craigslist.org/cto/4906483782.html

Do not expect to get anything cool or sporty or fun. Those things add to the price, so if you find a cool, sporty, fun car for $2,000 you're either incredibly lucky, or it has a lot of problems that are bringing the value down.

I second this one! :wink:

there were a million of those Camaros on the road when I was your age. they have all been wrapped around trees. killed a couple friends of mine too. very cool deathtraps.

my son gota 1980 one a few months ago, but he traded his harley for it, so it was a safety upgrade for him…

they t-bird has a current registration, so it may be better preserved

lol, if that t bird was on the east coast and I bought it, I bet that I could get that 460 to put out more than 200 HP in short order…

The Camaros of that Vintage are creeping up in value, so that $3000 car is probably a much bigger project, than the seller is willing to admit

How many miles are we talking here? Looking for strictly a back & forth to school and sports or will you be driving more than that? Have your friends that work at the shop to keep an eye and ear out for leads. Often times people might dump an older car that needs more work than they want to pay for. Might be able to find one that you & your buddies could get running for less than what you might pay for a used car off the lot. That’s the way I got my first car actually! :smile:

The only guarantee you will get with that T-Bird is that it will be a money pit, a very deep money pit. The seller admits that it needs TLC, that spells $$$. Even car guys like most of us here would take a pass on it.

well, just the fact that you are looking at old American beasts of burden makes an old luddite like me smile and think that you are destined to be a car guy…

The Crown Vic and anything with a GM 3.8L are all good options. Made for years and solidly reliable. You might also consider something like a Camry, Accord Malibu, or Taurus as well as smaller models like the Civic, Corolla, and the like. I would suggest getting something that LOTS AND LOTS were made over the years. New and used parts will be plentiful.

I personally got a 1994 Geo Metro as my cheap transport. They are about as simple as a VW bug to work on and get great mileage. Make sure you get underneath and look for rust as that is a problem, especially where the front control arms bolt up. If you don’t know what I am talking about, have someone who does go with you to look. They are known for rusting out, especially where salt is used.

The little engines are tough and reliable as long as they are cared for. Neglect the oil changes and you can kiss them goodbye. They were a cheap car to start so many treated them as disposable and didn’t take care of them.

Safety is probably their low point. It is basically a tin can on wheels but kinda like driving a big go kart.

They are a small car but there has always been plenty of room for me to work under the hood. I can also lift engines in and out by hand as I swapped one without a hoist. They do have a timing belt but that can be changed in like an hour if you know what you are doing and have done several. I always do the water pump at the same time. They are also non-interference and I know of several people who have picked them up at scrap value with broken timing belts. The previous owners think they are junk while they are a $40 part away from running again.