Changing your headlight bulbs

Yeah I’m going to revive an old discussion. I use the Silverstar Ultra in my Pontiac. After two years my right headlight was out so I replaced them both in April. Then one month later my right headlight was out again so I bought another pack thinking I got a defective bulb. When I pulled the headlight housing off though, I found some slight melting of the connector and the bulb was still good. Put it back together using dielectric grease on the connectors and we’ll see what happens. I suspect I’ll be soldering in a new connector at some point.

Just curious though if this is an issue with using the higher power bulbs and a common problem?

My daughters 05 CRV: her headlight burned out. I replaced all headlights with Sylvanias bestest most premium and most expensive light bulbs. A month later one burned out. They replaced it with mid grade Sylvania. Within a month both bulbs blew. (Not at same time. Replaced with standard they lasted a month or two. In the meantime I checked voltage and ground. All seemed fine. Connectors looked good. I told her the next time they burn out to just put the cheapest set she could find in it. Then in my spare time, I would change the connectors. She put some $6 ones in, and they’ve lasted for months and months. ??? I do know from research, that the more premium you go, the shorter the lifespan is. There’s a very significant difference in Sylvanias Basic and ultra premium.

Scroll down to see life comparison. It is dramatically different. There is no free lunch.
That being said, they shouldn’t blow in a month unless you’re driving non-stop…

1 Like

Agreed, I was planning on replacing connectors, but until they blow again, I’ll just wait. I’m sure they will and I surely don’t think it’s a Sylvania problem.

It is a problem with bulbs that draw more than OE power but your bulbs draw the same as OE. I have had the same bulbs in my Ram for 4 years. No burned out bulbs, and I have DRLs that use the high beam filament so they get a lot of use albeit at lower voltage.