Changing lanes in toll booth plaza

I was a passenger in a car where the driver changed lanes 5 times in a toll plaza in the last ~100 ft. before the booth. I ten had a disagreement with the driver about whether this an example of safe driving. I say no. We’d be interested to hear what others think.

Thanks.

You will see it again. You have the right to not argue about it. Anything you say can and will be used against you.

Sheer silliness AND potetially dangerous.
Someone who thinks they’re in that big of a hurry is usually in too much haste and too hyper to properly check their mirrors, therefore creating the circumstances that are dangerous.

AND, I’ll bet that if youall had a third party observer to watch the lines at the booths you WILL find that the overall wait at the very first choice line was as little or less that the time it took to fish all the other lanes for a “faster” one.

I see it a lot on the road. It is definitely unsafe. Some drivers have the skills to get away with that kind of thing for a long time, but eventually, they will encounter someone without the same kill level who makes a move and the two vehicles collide. It’s just a matter of time, and you don’t want to be in either vehicle when it happens.

I’ve seen those idiots before…Very dangerous…And personally I won’t let them cut in front of me…Really angered a few of them when they tried to change lanes and cut me off…I wouldn’t let them in front of me…and they couldn’t get back to the line they just left.

The driver was an idiot and you were right. Stay in your lane and wait your turn. Life is complicated enough without throwing stupidity into the mix. If the driver thinks this is an example of safe driving then he/she needs to park their vehicle, throw the keys away and shred their drivers license.

It is not safe. Neither is weaving through traffic at 80 MPH, but a lot of people do that, too.

Have them watch that video

Oops ! I bet that was me last weekend trying to get the right change and texting.

I think it’s illegal. If the stripes leading to the toll booths are solid, not broken, then it’s against the law to change lanes.

Long story but relevant, I think:

I used to work at a company in the suburbs and about 1/2 a mile down the road leading to the interstate there’s a blind hill with a traffic light on the other side.
So I and most of my co-workers go over that hill every day and often the light is red with a line of stopped cars.
I’m driving a little '81 Accord an one of my co-workers ‘Jack’ drives an F-150.
One day heading home I’m sitting at that light and over the hill comes ‘Jack’ and he has to lock up his wheels a couple feet to avoid whacking me in the bum.
The next day we got into a discussion about it and his opinion was that it was perfectly safe to drive vigorously and “lock 'em up” on a regular basis.
That incident didn’t help our work relationship.

It depends on whether we are talking about single white lines or double white lines. Crossing double white lines is illegal. Crossing single white lines usually discouraged, but usually legal.

I think we’re all making assumptions about the actual situation based on our own typical tollbooth traffic where we drive, and thos assumptions are probably invalid. The only way I can envision making that many lane changes is if the tools were backed up. In that case, where the cars are barely moving through one by one, repeated lane changes can be done safely. They’re aggrevating to a passenger, but that does not make them unsafe.

Note that I too am making some assumptions. But without having been there, and without a better description, we’re left to fill in the blaniks with our own imaginations.

I can tell you that arguing with the driver about it is a waste of time and energy.

I think we’re all making assumptions about the actual situation based on our own typical tollbooth traffic where we drive, and thos assumptions are probably invalid. The only way I can envision making that many lane changes is if the tools were backed up. In that case, where the cars are barely moving through one by one, repeated lane changes can be done safely.

I use to see the lane changing a LOT at the Bedford Toll plaza…whenever they had State Troopers standing on the other side of the toll waiting for someone to blow through the toll plaza without paying. When they got close you could see the trooper…now they had to get out of the EZ-Pass lane to one with a toll taker to avoid getting a ticket.