Changing from Neutral to Drive while Driving

No harm at all. The torque converter will handle it easily.

Thanks, Mike. Seems that is the consensus here.

This indicates a fundamental misunderstanding of how engine wear works. An I4 isn’t inherently any more susceptible to RPM-based wear than a V8 is. If you really wanted to get into the weeds you’d need to figure out actual piston speeds, which would be based on the stroke, not the number of cylinders. And there are 4 cylinder engines with longer strokes than 8 cylinder engines. And even then, the wear difference purely based on RPM assuming all other factors are equal is pretty negligible and would, if needed, be accounted for when the manufacturer sets the redline…

Where you start doing significant RPM-based wear damage is when you go over redline, which is different with each engine. The V8 Porsche 918, for example, has a redline north of 9,000 RPM, which is a speed that would probably grenade the I4 in my MR2. On the other hand, the S2000 that came out in 1999 has a 9,000 RPM redline too, which would grenade the V8 engine in a Crown Victoria.

Further, modern cars (which yours obviously is since it has paddle shifters) will work pretty hard to keep you from damaging them through mistakes. If a downshift would cause engine damage, the car simply won’t let you perform the downshift and will keep it in whatever gear it’s already in instead until you slow down enough to make the shift without hurting anything.

The main danger to shifting into neutral while driving is that you no longer have the ability to accelerate until you’re back in drive, which means that when the semi comes barreling up behind you because the driver is distracted, you’re less likely to get out of his way in time.

2 Likes

It’s the seeing eye. You are being watched. We are all being watched. Have no wrong thoughts or you will be reported. wooohooohooo

I dunno. Just a simple question gone out of control. Stuff wears out so no matter what you do, just driving a car will have an adverse effect on it, as will just letting it sit. What can you do? No gears left on the road, no problem.

My head is spinning now, thinking about gear ratios and rpms as a non-engineer or non-mechanic, but given the wheels rotating at a given speed, the transmission commanding those wheels to rotate, then the difference between an 8 cyl and a 4 cyl. If you have 8 pistons around a crankshaft versus 4, does it not stand to reason that the 8 pistons will travel less than the 4 cyl. I guess not necessarily increased rpm but if the crankshaft is at a given rpm to rotate the wheels, 8 pistons will travel less distance than 4, no?

Not to be confused with referring to 4 cyl as buzz boxes because they have to perform at a much higher rpm to pull the same load. At least that has been my experience where a normal car will be at around 2000 rpm at 70 mph, and a 4 will be closer to 3000 rpm, (at least before turbos and all the other gizmos to increase 4 cyl power).

That is my understanding, also.
I recall reading a road test, back in the '70s, of a Pontiac Bonneville with the 455 cubic inch V8, and the magazine (Car & Driver??) commented that, at 60 mph, the engine was turning at just a little faster than idle speed. Clearly, that old monster engine would have a much longer life–if properly maintained–than a tiny 4 cylinder engine that has to turn at 3,500 RPM at 60 mph.

I would wager that he has the only Camry ever produced with a V4 engine"

That’s defaming, disparaging, a clear out put down, and you know it. Just stop your insulting posts about this topic, and your attempts to twist around what you said, which is quoted at the top of this post, and clearly shows what games you are playing with me to build yourself up, as you try to tear me down. ENOUGH.

OK, clearly out of control. Time to get some fresh air. Things look a lot different after spending four hours in a fish house on a frozen lake on a Sunday afternoon.

Maybe we should have just said you did damage your vehicle and take it in and have it checked. So the mechanic could put it up on the lift, take a look, check the fluids, and charge you $100 with a report of no significant damage but don’t do it again.

1 Like

No attempt to twist that post I made was made .

1 Like

@ToyotaWill, @VDCdriver and @VOLVO-V70 did make posts that were dismissive in tone, but they weren’t baiting you. They could have pointed out the error differently. Still, I see you’re getting some useful information from others so no need to escalate. Thanks.

Click the little blue circle with a “V” in the middle.
A box will pop up.
Click the bigger blue circle with a “V” in the middle.
Click on the button that says “Normal”.
Click “Ignored”.
Problem solved.

1 Like

See? I told you you were being watched. Seriously though when VDC or Volvo catches something I said that I should have caught but didn’t and it was an obvious error, I usually just accept the error and move on. Sometimes I’m right but just too lazy to find the proof or argue same. Oh how easy it would be to simply check the manual and say “oh I meant I4”.

I think you need to read these posts from @VDCdriver again. He was clearly baiting me, constantly asking what engine I had. As soon as I unfortunately provided him an answer, he began his denigration of me. This was gone way too far, and you should take action on him. PROOF?

'Quoting him:

I would wager that he has the only Camry ever produced with a V4 engine"

Quoting my response:

That’s defaming, disparaging, a clear out put down, and you know it. Just stop your insulting posts about this topic, and your attempts to twist around what you said, which is quoted at the top of this post, and clearly shows what games you are playing with me to build yourself up, as you try to tear me down. ENOUGH.

VDCdriver is not VOLVO-V70, you understand?

texases

2m

Take any of my posts addressed to VDCdriver and VOLVO-V70. They both participated in this harassment. Do you understand that?

My post was pleasant, neutral and respectfull. Were THEIRS? You know the answer.

Fresh air, fresh air. Mom used to throw us outside in the Winter to get some fresh air when things started going down hill.

It snowed and I have to go out and blow the driveway out before dark.

1 Like

Enter “V4 engine” into the search bar at the top right and you will see how often the “V4” becomes a distraction in the discussions, with the same people each time.

I’m not going to do that but I’ll take your word for it. But that’s because some people have absolutely no idea what the “V” means and try to impress people by saying it. It’s like trying to impress an MD by mistaking a virus for a bacteria. Now when I was six years old we got our 54 Ford, and on the fender was the V8 emblem. I distinctly remember it at six years old and Dad explaining it to me after paying extra for a V8 engine, instead of a straight six. So for over 60 years I have had the “V” stamped on my brain and know what it means, so just dang admit it and take it like a man or however you self-identify.

1 Like

this is the worst thing that you can do to your car. try to avoid this

I didn’t state that you were the one frequently correcting people for writing V4. Perform a search and you will see who is doing this.

Off the deep end we go…

4 Likes