Change or to not change

I have a 2015 Hyundai Sonata with about 17,000 miles on it. I am going on a 1,500-2,000 mile trip and my oil change is due in just over 2,300 miles. My intervals are supposed to be very 5,000 but I’m pretty good with getting them on time and a little early. Usually change it a couple hundred before. My question is, is it ok to go on this long of a trip with the oil like this? Or should I change it before? Thanks

I’d take the trip, that’s easy on oil, then change it. Just check the level.

@texases thanks. I appreciate your answer

Yeah I’ve done the same thing. Highway driving is easy on the oil.

Other than agreeing that it’s ok to wait on the oil change I might suggest that during the trip you check the engine oil level now and then rather than assume it will remain at the FULL mark.

Many engines have been damaged or wiped clean out due to ignoring fluid level checks.

My intervals are supposed to be very 5,000

Doesn’t your Hyundai owner’s manual call for changing the oil every 7,500 miles (12,000 km) or 6 months for normal service?

Go.

No brainer! Go and enjoy the trip; just check the oil every tankful. If you’ve done only stop and go short trips until now, a fast drive may drop the oil level in the crankcase as you are burning off water and gasoline.

Yes I agree… @Docnick makes a great suggestion. Your oil integrity will be fine…its the level we all worry about. So do as the Doc suggests… Wouldn’t hurt to buy a quart or two of oil prior to the trip…so you dont pay 9 per quart at a gas station…

Blackbird

It won’t hurt your engine whatsoever.
But your warranty…? You may want to find out where the dealership is located at the other end of your trip and plan an oil change there. Be sure you keep your copy of the shop order. They’re all on common databases now, but if it were me I’d want a hard-copy shop order to prove I’d complied with the scheduled maintenance requirements.

Go and don’t worry about the oil other than checking the level.

There are oil change options throughout the us, If you hit the limit should not be hard to find one