CB Talk you might need ten characters

So another website was recalling cb lingo, thought this might be fun, my response was breaker breaker bear in the air.

CBs enjoyed a brief resurrection in popularity when I was in college. So I installed one in my CRX. I was kinda proud of myself. I removed the little pocket under the radio and stuck the CB in there. Had to dremel out the bezel to fit it, but it looked almost like a factory install when I was done.

Then I got chastised by some trucker because I did a ā€œsmokeyā€ check when I should have asked for a ā€œbearā€ check. Apparently ā€œsmokeyā€ at that point had fallen out of favor and using it marked me as a ā€œfour wheeler.ā€

Thing came in handy in car meets, though. We had another guy who had one, so one of us would lead the pack and the other would trail it. We could do 40+ car convoys and not lose anyone that way.

It also came in handy in my youthful days of ermā€¦ Excessive speed. Sure, a radar detector will tell you when thereā€™s a cop 1/4 mile or less ahead, but itā€™s useless with LIDAR because by the time it detects the laser, the laser has also detected you. But with the CB I knew where the cops were 20 miles before I got there. :wink:

1 Like

List of CB slang - Wikipedia

1 Like

In my 20ā€™s I had a Cobra 25 ltd peaked with a power mic. and a K40 antenna. my mom and dad were driving to florida from NY on a vacation. so I bought my dad a Cobra 25 ltd classic. hooked it up for him and gave him a list of the basic lingo. when they came home I asked if he used the CB much. he said he had so much fun talking to all the truckers and avoiding the traffic and speed traps. it was the only time he really got to use it because the big C came to visit shortly after. I still have his CB somewhere.

2 Likes

I had a CB for my truck years ago, convenient at times for meeting up w/friends at the coffee shop. But didnā€™t really use it that much. One of my buddies on the other hand installed a CB in his small pickup just to see what it was all about, and became totally fascinated to the point of obsession w/the damn thing. Heā€™d hold all-nighters on the weekend sitting in the idling truck in his familyā€™s driveway and talking to people hundreds and sometimes thousands of miles away over the skip. Finally he bought a base unit for indoors use.

3 Likes

So long ago, I do not even remember my handle, but did have to get a license in the early days.

1 Like

In the early 90ā€™s we used CB radioā€™s to communicate between our 3 car convoy on the way to our summer mission trip, The churchā€™s Ford Van and the car both had radio shack level CB radios and the RV that i was riding in had one with more than 2mi range.

After we got separated on I-90 we could hear the other two vehicles from ahead but they couldnā€™t hear us. Turned out they had missed the exit off I-90 and eventually found their way to the church where weā€™d be doing a mission project for the week. The RV used the handle Bigfoot, the car was the 3 amigos. and the Church van was the millenium falcon (we did suggest that shortening it to mf wouldnā€™t be appropriate.

3 Likes

Reminds me of a story, buds got an rv to go to New Orleans, driving back they traded driving duties, Tim thought it would be funny to exit and start driving south, wake up the next guy, they went 100 miles in the wrong direction until he realized they were going the wrong direction :kissing_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

I donā€™t need ten characters but on that note Mel Blanc was known to use his CB radio in the 1970 evenings to entertain children with Hanna-Barbara character voices.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good way to waste 25 gallons of fuel. People today question whether electric vehicles will make a difference while others go on joy rides.

I donā€™t know if truckers still use CB, I suspect they do. I have considered getting a CB just for traffic information, radio and GPS traffic warnings are lacking.
I did have a CB in my CJ5 when I lived in Utah in the ā€˜70s, very handy when four wheeling off-road. I displayed my CB license number and handle on my spare tire cover. Handle was ā€˜Big Birdā€™, donā€™t tell PBS, it included a picture of Sesame Streetā€™s Big Bird.
Co-workers had base units will tall antennas, their wives spent a lot of time chatting with each other and flirting with the truckers.

A friend & I driving in separate cars did that same thing just using childrenā€™s toy walkie-talkies when driving across Nevada on I80. Wā€™d have to be almost right next to the other car for them to hear, but that car-to-car communication method proved very convenient overall.

I did quite a bit of driving around Utahā€™s Canyonlands National Park on 4WD roads (more like trails). Some of the locations were so remote you could go for several days or even weeks without seeing anyone at all. Having a CB on hand definitely brought some peace of mind. One time I got stuck in deep sand in the Horseshoe Canyon area, which is really remote, and was wondering how the heck I would get out of that jam, given that it might be 2 weeks before anybody came by to assist.

I admit I was might puzzled for a while but finally figured it out.

3 Likes

I got stuck like that, not sure where, used the bumper jack, raised the end of 2wd and pushed the car over the rut, did not really care about body damage at that point but there was none.

1 Like

What do they do nowadays I havenā€™t seen a bumper since I canā€™t remember when?

1 Like

I never got into that CB stuff as I thought it was kind of corny for non-truckers but did have a small unit (3 x 4 inches) whose name I cannot recall that would plug into the car radio and pick up CB and Ham radio operator chat. Think I still have that thing tucked away in the attic somewhere.

I would turn it on and listen in to the truckers to find out where the law was staking the road out and now and then would listen at night to Ham operators. Listened to some guy way up around the Great Lakes one night for an hour going on about cars; and he knew what he was talking about.

One of my regrets, never getting to that area, I was up in Ogden.

We had walkie talkies with an alleged 7mi range that worked better for line of sight in the mountains than in town or when we used them to pick up dad at the airport. But after mail in rebate they were only $4 for the pair on clearance at Office Depot.

Not sure but I would use the supplied car jack on the differential and push it over again.

1 Like

LOL

1 Like

I often see off road jacks mounted on Wranglers.

4 Likes