Cathodes on when doors open

He is right. I was recently reading how Canada hasn’t had any banks fail. Their government didn’t fall asleep at the wheel like ours did in terms of regulation of the banking and real estate industries. It must be nice to live in a place where government gets it right once in a while.

Electrodes come in two flavors: “anodes” are positive and “cathodes” are negative.

The OP is actually referring, I believe, to a phenomenon known as “cold cathode lighting” or “cathode” for short.

And the cathode was just a part of the cathode ray tube, which is the picture tube of virtually anything that uses a picture tube.

It was the government regulation that CAUSED the banking crisis. Government forced banks to make loans to people that previously couldn’t qualify for one, which is why in the past dozen years or so anyone could get a loan with practically no checking up on them. It was inevitable that the loans would fail.

But that has nothing to do with automotive questions, which is what this forum is for.

If they are those ground effect lights, they are also illegal in some states.

Cappy208, Are You Joking?

Are we supposed to start “means testing” people that pose questions? Bman11 is doing just what everybody should be doing - Spending and stoking the free-enterprise system. Capitalism is what makes our economy run. People not spending is what our current problem is. Why should he be doing things that would lead to better MPG? Why not just tell him/her to stay home?

Please tell me you were joking or being facetious. It comes across like you are serious.
Thanks, CSA

JayWB, Exactly! Now Look Who’s Going To “Fix” It!

1337 speak hurts our eyes.

Translation for everyone else:

Wow! Thanks for your input cappy (laughing). Yes, I make all payments for my car and I am 20 years old. The car is not a beater either. It is an '05 Civic, thank you very much. Here in Canada the economy isn’t as bad as you yanks(assuming that is where you are, sorry is not), and yes I do have a job. Last of all, you can buy cathodes from a computer store for around $10 Canadian, and they come with the required transformer. Thank you so much for your reply.

neon lights on a Civic? You could knock me over with a feather. I hear that each one installed adds at least 10 RWHP, even more if your car already sports a park-bench spoiler, a fart can muffer, an a few “VTEC” or Type R stickers.

of course i was giving a nudge! i have no problems with what anyone does with their ride. but these type of expenditures are indicative of a larger type of philosophy i don’t share. i don’t expect or want to ‘vet’ anyone. you notice i did contribute to the overall information on the subject, but at some point, there is no further info to give (or expect)

on to other topics.

What is a cold cathode light? This says…http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-cold-cathode-light.htm
This is weird. A cold cathode light is a tube which has a gas or vapor through which a current is passed. The gas is NOT mercury, nor neon. What is the gas? This article doesn’t say what the gas is, either: http://www.lipower.org/efficiency/lighting_cathode.html
Added: The technical stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_cathode

i just got that one. good one!!! :slight_smile:

It was the government regulation that CAUSED the banking crisis.

We can argue all day about whether the mortgage industry was regulated or deregulated, but that won’t change the facts:

Over the past 15 years, as the United States and Europe loosened regulations on their financial industries, the Canadians refused to follow suit, seeing the old rules as useful shock absorbers. Canadian banks are typically leveraged at 18 to 1?compared with U.S. banks at 26 to 1 and European banks at a frightening 61 to 1. Partly this reflects Canada’s more risk-averse business culture, but it is also a product of old-fashioned rules on banking.

Canada has also been shielded from the worst aspects of this crisis because its housing prices have not fluctuated as wildly as those in the United States. Home prices are down 25 percent in the United States, but only half as much in Canada. Why? Well, the Canadian tax code does not provide the massive incentive for overconsumption that the U.S. code does: interest on your mortgage isn’t deductible up north. In addition, home loans in the United States are “non-recourse,” which basically means that if you go belly up on a bad mortgage, it’s mostly the bank’s problem. In Canada, it’s yours. Ah, but you’ve heard American politicians wax eloquent on the need for these expensive programs?interest deductibility alone costs the federal government $100 billion a year?because they allow the average Joe to fulfill the American Dream of owning a home. Sixty-eight percent of Americans own their own homes. And the rate of Canadian homeownership? It’s 68.4 percent.

Canada has been remarkably responsible over the past decade or so. It has had 12 years of budget surpluses, and can now spend money to fuel a recovery from a strong position. The government has restructured the national pension system, placing it on a firm fiscal footing, unlike our own insolvent Social Security. Its health-care system is cheaper than America’s by far (accounting for 9.7 percent of GDP, versus 15.2 percent here), and yet does better on all major indexes. Life expectancy in Canada is 81 years, versus 78 in the United States; “healthy life expectancy” is 72 years, versus 69. American car companies have moved so many jobs to Canada to take advantage of lower health-care costs that since 2004, Ontario and not Michigan has been North America’s largest car-producing region.

(Zakaria: The Canadian Solution)

this site sucks, most of u guys r f’n dicks. who cares what im doing to my ride, if ur gunna take the time to leave a response why dont u leave a helpful one. thanks for ur response jay, wired it up and works like a dream. Ill stick to my civic club forum from now on.