Catalytic converter

I need to replace the converters in my 1998 subaru outback. it’s a CA car but i now reside in VA. do i have to replace the converters with the CA specific ones or will the federal ones fit/work/be legal? How much better do the CA specific ones work? they are way more expensive…

What makes you feel you need new converters? A CEL? Replace the rear oxygen sensors first…

my mileage has been getting worse and recently my check engine light came on so i brought it in to a shop. they ran a diagnostics on it and said it’s either the O2 sensors and/or the converters. I will certainly replace the O2 sensors first but either way i’m still curious about the CA vs. Fed. thing

At this point, I would take it to an independent muffler shop and investigate after-market replacements before I spent BIG BUCKS on factory Subaru parts…Two new converters and 4 new sensors will produce a large bill…

Make sure the muffler shop is confident the after-market converters will not lead to constant CEL problems…

What CA vs Fed thing? I would think federally approved models would be 50 state, CA being one of them.

Ca passed a new smog law that requires cats to be replaced with mfgs. original equipment. No more after market cats in Ca. This law was passed because there is not news reporting in Ca. on the nefarious activities of the Ca. legislature and the lobby for the auto mfgs. is very strong and narrowly interested in of all things fixing the profit for the auto mfgs. I am shocked I tell you just shocked that such special interests could get legislation passed that ignores the lower income workers in Ca. But there you have it. Ca. is rife with such legislation, it is a corporate owned and operated state. You did well to move out of there bkane. Now, dont forget to support your local national security state.