Catalytic Converter - OEM or aftermarket?

I just purchased a 93 Toyota Pickup that is missing it’s Catalytic Converter. I’ve found excellent prices online for third parties, but I wonder if they’re more cheaply made.

Is quality comparable? If so, is there a company you recommend?

Also, I’ve never installed one myself. Are they easy to install, or is this a part I need to have a shop put in?

Aftermarket converters are fine, as long as you get a “direct fit” converter.

That unit (if it’s the 4-banger) uses a flange both before and after the converter. I believe that model still has only the upstream oxygen sensor, and that’s in the lead pipe before the flange, so that makes the job easier.

Yes, it’s easy to install. Simply cut the bolts at the flanges, pry the pieces apart, and install the replacement. I use stainless steel replacement bolts and nuts with antiseize so they don’t rust. That makes replacing the rest of the exhaust system super easy. Don’t forget to get the “doughnut” gaskets for the joints.

Oh, sine this one is missing its converter you may have to replace either the rear portion of the exhaust system or the lead pipe too. If you have to replace the lead pipe it’s a bear of a job. The rear section is super easy, but you need to get the frame of jack stands and let the axle hang to remove the pipe from over it.

You would have to look at it. I replaced the right side cat in my 06 Charger recently. It took me all of 10 minutes. 3 bolts at manifold and 1 clamp to loosen.

transman

My answer depends on what kind of catalytic converter was on it originally.

Some cars with sophisticated emissions equipment have the catalytic converter and exhaust manifold as one piece. If that was the case with your truck, I would go with an OEM part.

Other vehicles had a simple $80 catalytic converter under the car farther down the exhaust system. If that was the case with your truck, an aftermarket part would be fine.

It’s the 1993 Toyota 2.4L L4 w/Fuel Injection. Is there any way I’d be able to find that info?

Also, I’ve found a couple universal types that seem less expensive. Will it be worth the trouble, or should I definitely get a direct fit?

That’s the 22RE engine. I had a 1989 Toyota pickup, same configuration except without the oxygen sensoor (mine was carbed, in late 89 they made the switchover to TBI), for 17 years and 338,000 miles. That model started in 1989 and ran until 1994.

I changed my exhaust system three or four times and my cat converter once. It’s a piece of cake. I actually changed everything aft of the converter in 20 minutes start to finish once in an apartment parking lot…without anyone noticing.

Get direct fit aftermarket parts. Ask for a discount. Many places will give you one if you ask.

Awesome. I’ve started looking into it, and came across a website ( http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?D=catalytic+converter&Ntt=catalytic+converter&Dx=mode+matchall&Ntk=Main&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=1725+4294963820+11909+11921&Nty=1&refType=Tab&refValue=Stock+Replacement ). It seems to have good prices, but I’m a little thrown off by the fact that some of the catalytic converters have extensions on each end, one has an extension on a single end, and several have no extensions at all. Which should I choose?

You’re seeing differences for two reasons.
One is that there are different manufacturers listed.
Two is to accomodate different cab configurations. Extended cabs need a longer section.

A standard cab takes the short version. An extended cab take the long one.

You’ll notice also that all but one are “49 state compliant”. If you’re in CA, that limits your choices also.