Catalytic Converter Cover

My 97 Nissan XE 4X4 makes a jangling noise expecially when shifting. Mechanic said it’s a loose Cat Con cover, and he would just remove it. Does this make sense???

Yes, if you like removing things and only park on concrete. You can put a large band clamp around the shield to stop the rattling. It works great most of the time. The clamp looks like a big radiator hose clamp and you can get one anywhere, even at a hardware store. If they are too short, just buy another and use them in series.

No, because the converter gets extremely hot and can set the grass on fire if you stopped on the side of the road. It could do this even WITH the cover in place, but why goad it on?

In a few isolated cases, converters even set the carpeting on fire inside the vehicle.

These covers are actually called “heat shields” for a reason.
My suggestion would be to take it to a muffler shop. They can probably tack a spot or two with the welder to shut it up.
Another option could be to drill a small hole or two in the shield and run a sheet metal screw in until it bottoms out.
Subaru at one time was having some heat shield rattling problems and the latter was actually the Subaru approved fix.

This should be an easy fix for a muffler shop. Hope that helps.

Thank you SO much for the information, and so quick! You have helped me tremendously.

No, because the converter gets extremely hot and can set the grass on fire if you stopped on the side of the road.

I’ve run a street car with no cat shield on a race track, had to park it in dry grass afterward, and it didn’t set the grass on fire. There have been a few EXTREMELY isolated occurances of this, but hardly enough to be worried.

It could do this even WITH the cover in place

Exactly. We’re talking about tall weeds here – the shield won’t keep them from touching the converter.

In a few isolated cases, converters even set the carpeting on fire inside the vehicle.

Which would not be an issue if you removed the lower shield :wink:

They can probably tack a spot or two with the welder to shut it up.

Probably not - -the thing’s probably so rusty that you can’t weld it. That’s how the shields on 2 of mine went - - one end rusted right off.

Another option could be to drill a small hole or two in the shield and run a sheet metal screw in until it bottoms out.

Subaru’s approval notwithstanding, this seems like a very good way to pierce the cat and let exhaust vent prematurely - - -which would btw be illegal.

Is there more than one sheild???

Usually.

I have no idea if the system is rusted away or not. On a 97 I assume it’s not since many late model exhausts are stainless steel.

I’ve also never seen or caused a pierced exhaust system due to a sheet metal screw.
The pointed end is ground flat first and one is going to have to be a real hoss to force that through the pipe without stripping the threads first.