Carlos rules the world

I read a couple of days ago that Renault will buy a substantial share of Mitsubishi, just as they did of Nissan. Carlos Ghosen, CEO of Renault and Nissan, will assume the same role for Mitsubishi. Nissan was in a funk for a while but seems to be doing much better these days. Maybe Gosen can turn Mitsubishi around too. Any thoughts on Carlos taking over the auto world?

I find this amusing

:laughing:

I consider Mitsubishi to be a loser car brand, at least based on their presence in the US. Their products are, to a very large degree, aimed squarely at people who can’t afford a more expensive car, such as a Toyota. Their technology is outdated. The vehicles are NOT competitive. They basically HAVE no presence here. Need I go on?

I’m not sure if Renault was ever sold in the US . . . ?

If Carlos Ghosen is planning on taking over the auto world, he’d better find out a way to be more competitive in the US, since this is a big market. And that requires more than just selling a few more Mitsubishis, and introducing Renault.

Is it sufficient to take over the auto world with low quality vehicles?

Would that make you king of the hill . . . or merely a slum lord?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

We had a renault for the lake car, lived forever, basically a to the golf course and back car, for my dad. Most memorable thing the scratches on the rear bumper from using the rear bumper for tying on his golf shoes with metal spikes.

Renault, Mitsubishi, and Nissan aren’t huge sellers in the US, right? So it is sort of hard to guess what effect this will have. In the US car & truck market, not much probably. Now if he’d re-introduce a modern engine version of the Datsun 240Z maybe.

( and Nissan aren’t huge sellers in the US, right) Wrong

2015 list of 25 top selling cars has Nissan Altima at #5 - Nissan Sentra at #10 - Nissan Versa at #16.
I don’t know how many but Nissan is selling the Frontier truck line very well.

Renaults were sold in the U.S. until '87.
What do I think of Renault’s new acquisition? Heck, I’ve given up trying to keep track of who owns who anyway. Mitsus have had problems this past decade or so. Unless their product problems are resolved, I don’t see much changing. Their sales have been plummeting in the U.S. for decades (see attached link).

Seems to me a case of a manufacturer in trouble trying to save itself by buying other manufacturers in trouble. That rarely works well. I guess we’ll all see together.

Is the Renault/Nissan group in trouble globally?

Obviously, Renault’s credibility here is zilch

I just remembered the awful cars they sold here in the mid-1980s :disappointed:

I wouldn’t buy one, unless you could convince me they are reliable, keep their value, are comfortable, competitive, etc.

Selling outdated garbage at a low price is no way to improve your image . . . I’m speaking more of Mitsubishi, with that particular statement

I’m sorry if my opinions sound rude, but I’m entitled to them

I believe Renault’s products in europe are competitive in that particular market. But they would have to be altered, and marketed in a smart way, in order to catch on here

For example . . .

Comfortable seating

Powerful engines . . . because we have different expectations, versus Europe and Asia. A 115hp 4 banger in an Accord or Camry sized vehicle is not going to cut it here.

Modern transmissions . . . an outdated 5 or 6speed automatic transmission will not cut it

Fully independent front AND rear suspension . . . no semi-independent rear. Some marketing guys always seem to think people won’t recognize cost-cutting for what it is. I notice such things, and I consider them insulting

Lots of creature features . . . cupholders up the wazoo, power everything

60/40 split bench and a carpeted trunk lid. Shame on Honda, for selling their cars with neither, for many years. Renault will have to do better than that

They will have to set up a very comprehensive dealer network, including well-stocked parts warehouses. Nobody wants to wait for parts to arrive from France, for example

It will be a tall order, for them to reenter the US market gain a stable foothold, establish a good reputation, etc.

Perhaps Renault will initially be sold alongside NIssans . . . after all multi-brand franchises are the norm

Back in the 60’s I think I only knew one guy that owned a Renault and it was kind of a novelty. Never had much faith in them. We did have an elderly friend in Germany that would travel all over Europe and he bought Renaults. When I asked him why he said it was because if he had a problem anywhere in Europe they’d come and get him and provide another car. I guess they must have had a good warranty or a good fleet of tow trucks.

Mitsubishi cars and light trucks are quite popular overseas and in developing countries. The diesel powered pickup truck is quite sturdy and a favorite with oil companies and other s who need cheap and economical crew cab units.

The North American and Western European markets are very demanding product-wise and the likes of Suzuki and Mitsubishi just don’t have the product appeal there.

1 Like

Mitsubishi was open to the acquisition because they are in trouble, in large part due to their fudged mileage ratings. Since they are a smaller auto manufacturer, they couldn’t weather the storm the way big lying creeps like VW can.

Just because Renault is not sold in the USA does not mean they are in trouble. They were unreliable transportation when they left the market, taking American Motors down with them. That was 30 years ago, and I don’t spend think it makes sense to base opinions on the marque’s cabilities on what they were that long ago. I don’t know much about them now since I don’t travel to markets where they are available, and I am not making a value judgement.

Mitsubishi is a large conglomerate, and the car business is only part of their total effort. Their joint venture with Chrysler in the past did not work and they may yet try another partner. Their other businesses, electronics, power generation, heavy industrial equipment, shipbuilding are doing OK, although you don’t see much of that in North America. The North American car market happens to be the most competitive and demanding.

Renault is reasonably competitive outside of North America. We rented a Renault on our last holiday in France, and it was a very smooth diesel and the car was quiet and capable. The Renault Nissan marriage has turned out well by and large, but Nissan was the loser technically, I believe. Nissan has a very large plant in Mexico to serve the Western Hemisphere market. There’s no point in Renault muddying the water when Nissan is doing OK.