Car won't start

Sometimes I turn the key and nothing happens except the lights come on but nothing hsppens. Then if I press the brakes, move the gear shift from park to neutral and back it might start. Sometimes I have to repeat the process a few times and twice I was stranded! If it starts then something unusual happens if I am going in reverse and turning the steering wheel sharply to the right the is a loud grinding,whining sound. It’s not like the sound of a whining power steering noise. Can you help.

Sounds like you might be having a problem with the neutral safety switch. Your mechanic should be able to test/adjust the switch.

How does he test it? And does the noise that occurs that I mentioned relate to it?

Step 1: you take the car to him. You’ve been stranded twice. The internet won’t fix your car. The question isn’t how does he test it, it’s can he fix it.

The noise is a completely separate problem.

“If it starts then something unusual happens if I am going in reverse and turning the steering wheel sharply to the right the is a loud grinding,whining sound. It’s not like the sound of a whining power steering noise.”

Thanks so much.
My son is my mechanic and I was trying to give him a head start.
Of course I can never duplicate the sound when he is listening for it. But it only makes it when those two steps are taken—sharp right turn of the steering wheel, while backing up and also only after I have had the problem with the switch thing. Any more ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Cinda