CarTalk.com Best of Deals Car Reviews Repair Shops Cars A-Z Radio Show

Car won't start then wipers turn on

Car has intermittent problem with starting. Sometimes car won’t start and makes clicking noise and sets off the windshield wipers. Wiper controls are in off position. Everytime I turn the key the car clicks and wipers turn on. After sitting 15+ minutes, the car then starts right up and wipers remain off.

Try cleaning the battery connections using a battery post cleaning brush.

Thanks for the response. I’ve cleaned them with baking soda/water but am still having the same problem. 75% of the time the car starts…no problem. The other 25% I just get the clicking noise and the wipers start by themself. Any other ideas?