Car wheels make strange sounds

Hi, I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey. Started driving it today after not driving it for 2 months. There’s a strange sound now, which I suspect are from the wheels. Didn’t have this sound previously. Can anyone help me understand the issue and how to repair it? Link to a video clip here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/k4XV4apmLQYCTHpn8

1st thing I would do is check to make sure your lug nuts are tight…

If noise still there, then safely lift vehicle and spin/rotate all 4 wheels to see if you can reproduce the noise or feel anything strange… Can even start vehicle with drive wheels off the ground and put it in gear and check for the noise…

Might need to find a shop that has or buy your own, chassis ears to locate the noise…
Speaking of locating the noise, can you tell where it is?? Front, back, side, middle, left front, right rear etc etc…

Inspect the tires for dry rot or belt separation.

1 Like

The sound seems to change when you step on the brakes. I think you need someone to look at the brakes.

1 Like

To me, sounds like tire noise. Either flat spotting or other problem.
CapriRacer is our resident tire expert, but in this case, I have to disagree with him.
In either case, brake vs tire, either have a shop put it on a lift and inspect it. Or, if you have the tools, Jack up the car, place on Jack stands and rotate wheel to see if noise is still present.
As mentioned above, tire rot, belt separation are possible.

1 Like

My stomach suggests possible bearing issue.

While driving down a straight and not so busy(!) road, radio and climate off, gently rock the steering wheel back and forth, and see that causes a change in the sound we heard in the video.

A change in velocity, via steering input, Capri’s brakes, or otherwise, can cause an almost instant change in the sound from a suspect bearing.

My brain suggests nothing useful or meaningful, so I’ll defer to my gut instinct, :rofl::rofl:

What did one worn out tire say to the other?

“Let’s SPLIT!”

:laughing::laughing:

Rust flashing on the rotor surfaces would be my first guess. Should go away after several vigorous braking events…

1 Like

Not able to listen to the audio, but a layer of rust developing on the brake rotors as the car sat unused for 2 months is my guess as well. OP’s brake pads may be nearing their wear limit, suggest to ask shop to check.

Surface rust on the brake rotors should squeal, not thump.
If my truck sits for a week, rotors turn a lovely shade of orange. Backing out of my driveway brakes will squeal like a stuck pig. Four blocks and two stop signs later the noise is gone.
My opinion remains, tires.
Unless somebody was attempting to steal tires/wheels or some other parts from your vehicle, tires are most likely.

Note to other contributors, >24 hours since the original post. The OP has not returned with an update.

1 Like

Hi everyone! Thanks for your input. I took the car out yesterday. The sound is not a squealing sound. It’s more like a low pitch thumping sound. It got better yesterday, and the sound is much less obvious now, especially at high speeds. It’s still there and more obvious at low speeds. Took a look at the tires, didn’t seem to split. Sound seems to coming from one or both of the rear tires.

Given what OP reports immediately above, I think you are correct, flat spots on tires.

OP, did you ever see a car parked for some time with the tires removed, or on jack-stands, tires completely off the ground? The owner probably did that b/c tires supporting the full weight of the car can get flattened out on the bottom, (flat spots) when the car is parked up unused. When flat spots develop, you’ll hear a sort of thump, thump, thump sound every time the flat spot rotates to meet the pavement. In most cases the flat spots will go away by themselves after some amount of driving.

To prove this is the problem, a shop could jack the car enough so the suspect tire just barely clears the ground, then hand rotate the tire. A tire with flat spots, the distance between the tire and the ground will vary as the tire is rotated, meaning it is not perfectly round.

Flat spots on tires should, at 0°F or 90°F, “work themselves out” after several minutes of steady driving, or while onramping onto a highway .

I suspect the PP’s problem is more long term.

That’s why some of us are making rotors or wheel bearings for the OP’s noise problem.

Thanks all for your input. It might be a flat spot. Maybe I should jack the car and have it be suspended when I got for a long trip? The weather is about 80°F here. I’ll try moving the steering wheel while driving tomorrow to see if it is a bearing problem. Sounds like it isn’t a rust issue.