Car Starts With Me Barely Turning the Key

I have a 2008 Kia Sportage LX. Lately, when I have put my key in the ignition and start to turn it, it starts automatically. On my ignition I have Off, Lock, ACC, On, and Start. When I start to turn my key to Lock position my car cranks up automatically. Please help me diagnose this, it starting to scare me.

That sounds like a faulty ignition switch.

We’ve heard in the news that faulty ignition switches can be fatal. So don’t wait to have this checked out.

Tester

Just as an option, try changing the tilt on the steering wheel, agree with tester.

I too agree with Tester. This seems like the only possible cause to me.

I agree with Tester on the ignition switch. Starting when switch is turned to ON would make more sense when START is only one contact away. Starting when turned to LOCK is very weird. My 2010 Kia Forte’s switch is {clockwise) LOCK, ACC, ON, START You should be very scared.

I also think this is a bad ignition switch. One caution until the problem is resolved, don’t park this car inside a garage or near anything that could catch on fire. Unlikely to happen, but such a thing is possible. I had a friend who’s car caught on fire due to an electrical problem in the starter circuitry. Fortunately it was parked on the street in front of her apartment, but the resulting car fire destroyed two other cars besides hers be fore the fire department could put it out.

I agree with @GeorgeSanJose Keep the car away from your dwelling or anything combustible. Unreliable electronics have caused a number of house fires, the most common being low quality coffee makers that don’t shut off properly. We never use the timer on the coffee pot to make coffee overnight.

Ditto ; ignition switch.
… replace it asap . . .
. . don’t use it . .
Something internal has come apart and is bridging the circuits.

If you can install it , you can buy a new one at Auto Zone or O’Reilly’s for about 14 dollars.
( in stock at my local Auto Zone )

Do this NOW before that bridge arcs and becomes un-stoppable causing a fire.