Car started with jump - battery problem?

2012 Honda Accord Coupe
This afternoon car would not start - heard clicking from engine. Got a jump and started fine. Tested the battery at auto shop - “in normal range, but a little low”.
The terminals were tight and corrosion-free (a few months ago I had difficult starting due to build up on terminal.) I bought the car used last summer, 2018, and dealer stated that battery was new.

I drove on highway for a few miles to charge battery and has been starting OK this afternoon.

I do a lot of town driving and also run a dashcam in car. Also sometimes charge phone and use heated seat (though not today).

I’m keeping an eye on things but working on theory that battery was low due to driving habits.

If by chance this is the original battery just get a new one and you won’t have worry about needing a jump for several years.

Also sometime during the start attempts/jump the power went of to the radio/clock - I had to reset.

But, did they test the charging system?

I’m not liking that theory, no offense.

Next stop, after checking the charging system, would probably be to check for a parasitic draw which could be problematic when the car is parked.
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

1 Like

Thats a sure sign your need a new battery.Honda put underpowered batteries in the Accord and Civics in those years.

1 Like

Thanks, I just looked at the Carfax info that the dealer gave me when I bought the car used in 2017. The battery was replaced at a Honda dealer in December 2016. The battery is a Honda one

Ok , lots of short trips and 3 years it is probably time for a new one. Also Honda does not make batteries .

1 Like

That usually means the battery was disconnected or went completely dead.

Check the battery connections again.

Tester

3 Likes

Depending on the type of battery tester used, I’ve seen battery just in the good category and the battery was toast. I would be sure all battery connections are good, have alternator checked and replaced, and check for parasitic drain. Everything should then be covered.

1 Like

Even fairly “young” batteries can go bad.

I had to replace the battery in our Honda Odyssey recently. I’d bought it at Walmart less than 3 years prior. Luckily I still had the receipt. It was a week prior to the full replacement warranty expiring. They tested the battery and handed me a new one, no charge.

Just go get you a new battery and be done with it.

+1
Last year, I decided to have AutoZone run a test on the battery that I had bought from them almost 3 years previously. When it failed their test, I got an equivalent replacement battery–gratis. If I had waited another couple of weeks, I would only have been able to get a pro-rata replacement, and that would have cost me a few bucks.

Even though I was carrying the receipt for the original purchase, I didn’t actually need it because AZ had all of the pertinent data in their data system.

2 Likes

Predominantly short trips with heavy electrical accessory use will definitely cause the battery to run down. I have a similar driving pattern so I charge my battery every few weeks. Driving a few miles on the highway will NOT fully recharge it.

3 Likes

http://www.gonzostoolbox.com/KnowledgeFolder/HondaELD.html

Tester

1 Like

Thanks, Do you use a float trickle charger that you plug into the mains? I’ve also seen solar chargers that sit on the dash and plug into the 12v plug in the car

A trickle charger won’t bring a significantly discharged battery up to full charge in any reasonable length of time. They are useful for maintaining a fully charged battery during long periods of non-use. A regular charger is what you need.

1 Like