Car Stalls When Trying To Pass

That’s something I hope the Toyota folks can tell me without having to tear apart the engine.

The other day I tried something like that, but I didn’t put in 2nd. I just revved the engine, and yes, it will misfire after a few moments.

I think I know where the MAP is, but not the other items. I could check to see if they were plugged in if I knew where they were.

If you know where the intake manifold is located, there should a fairly thick hose from that directly to the MAP sensor. On my Corolla it is fairly high up & near the rear of the engine compartment. The tps sensor is going to be near to the throttle valve , the area where the intake air is routed from the engine air filter ass’y. The EGR system may be hard to see. On transverse-oriented engines (like yours) the EGR valve is usually bolted to the engine, wedged between the engine and the firewall. The intake manifold is probably in the way. There will a vacuum hose between the EGR valve and the EGR vacuum modulator, and another going to the vacuum switching valve. Rock Auto will show you what those parts look like. Suggest however this problem is best solved by a pro-shop, dealership or independent. Not a good project for a newbie diy’er. The pro shop will have diagnostic tools you just don’t have.

Roger that! :rofl: Trust me, I know where my expertise lies and it’s NOT with automobile mechanics anymore. That’s why I got an appt with the local Toyota dealership next week. But I also like to research these kinds of things so I can be somewhat knowledgeable about the ins and outs of my car. That’s why I posted this topic here, and let me say, I am extremely thankful for folks like yourself taking time out of your day to help me.

Now, that said, I knew my 1973 Nova inside and out and could work on it in my sleep, but that was about, oh, 41 years ago? :grin:

1 Like

lol … reminds me, a couple years ago my similar vintage Ford truck stalled and wouldn’t start in a home-improvement store parking lot. I purchased the hand tools I needed to do the diagnosis from the home-store, and got it running again in about 90 minutes and $25 …:slight_smile:

Simpler times, no computer degree necessary!

So it misfired with no load on it. Then it is not a fuel starvation issues. It seems like the fault happens at high RPM only. I don’t know of anything that would stop working correctly at high RPM, except an electrical problem related to the crankshaft position sensor, the ECU, or the wires that go between those two things. They may have damaged or moved the crankshaft position sensor when they were working in there to replace the seal.

Someone with a scope might probe the signal coming from it and compare it to a known good Corolla or car that uses the same CPS.

It could also be an ignition problem. At high RPM a problem in the ignition coil or ignitor might cause the spark to become weak and misfires will start to happen. Obviously the problem isn’t happening at lower speeds. Weaking ignition is hard to diagnose.

Then the crank sensor could be the problem.

And again, a bad crank sensor doesn’t always cause the Check Engine light to turn on.

Tester

Interesting. What is the ECU? Also, can you provide an image? Not that I’ll try and make any repairs (due to me having Long Covid and generally not being knowledgeable about Toyotas) but I’m genuinely curious.

Maybe something else to note. When I drive the car, and it goes to shift from one gear to the next, I’ll let off the accelerator just a bit. I do that until it’s up to cruising speed. I’ve noticed that it will lose power when it shifts from one gear to the next if I don’t do that. Therefore my take off speeds are VERY SLOW and people around me get annoyed.

Thanks for your help.

When you give it gas does it tend to misfire? This is a symptom of weak ignition.

The ECU, engine control unit, is the computer that controls the engine. It is usually behind the glove compartment. They sometimes do fail or start to act up. I doubt it in this case. More likely an ignition component or faulty sensor.

Thanks for the link to that webpage. I will read through it.

Yes, it definitely tends to misfire. Thing is, it didn’t start doing that until after the oil seal was replaced. So I thought the mechanic had to have damaged something when he put things back together or maybe didn’t align the gears quite right when the timing belt was put back on as others have suggested.

It’s the engine computer. It gets blamed a lot unfairly. I used to carry a spare computer just to rule it out. Never the problem.

Someone on my Facebook page said it could be the kick down solenoid. Is there such a thing on my car?

That would just drop it into passing gear, not affect engine operation.

Thanks.

So far, including this suggestion, this is what I got as possible causes:

EGR
MAP
TPS
ECU
Crankshaft position sensor
Bad timing
Timing belt misaligned
Kick down solenoid
Bad Ground
Vacuum leak
Fuel pressure
Oh, and someone else suggested the oil filter not being installed correctly

I hope the Toyota folks can figure it out!

That someone doesn’t know anything about cars,

Tester

1 Like

Which is why I declined his offer to look at the car! :laughing:

Just a word of advice, when you see the dealer don’t treat them like 3rd graders and tell them to check egr, fuel pressure, oil filter, etc etc. just be clear on the exact symptoms and let them do the analysis.

3 Likes

I retired from my government job back in April 2023. I worked for a flying squadron at a local military base. Those folks were the bravest, most honorable and dedicated people I ever worked for and with over my 20 years of government service. I knew a lot about what they did and why, but one thing I never did was try and tell them how to fly their planes. So yes, your point is well taken. I’m just going to point at the car and say something akin to, “car brokey, please fixy.” :grin:

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you for your service as they say. You deserve it.

I don’t mean to demean the sentiment but when the dealer looked at my drivers license he said thank you for your service. I said don’t thank me I just went to meetings for six years. Thank those folks that actually got shot at.