Car sounds like a diesel

my car is having issues it sounds like a diesel with clicking and it shakes…my check engine light is on and i do not know where to go because i don’t want to be over charged or be lied to…help

Do you think it is the valves (lifters) clicking? Do you have oil pressure?

i have no clue…i know i was bad and my oil was really low i changed it yesterday but i am scared i really messed it up i work everyday so i can’t run around getting different estimates from different places i just have to take it somewhere and pray they don’t screw me
my car is a 2000 ford explorer with 111,000 miles on it and i got my timing belt changed last year…i don’t know anything i just know it sounds bad to me…

you said you changed oil? could you have broke a sparkplug wire?

Most auto parts stores will “read the codes” for free…This old push-rod engine does not have a timing belt…

wait so i paid 1200 for what???don’t tell me that…see all mechanic take advantage of me i am so upset right now…this is why i hate people they always take advantage of my naive self…

i didn’t change it walmart did but the noise was happening before the oil change i’m just scared i waited too long and damaged the engine

This engine has a timing CHAIN which usually last “The life of the engine”…Perhaps our educational system should cancel a study hall and instead require one semester of “Basic Automobile Maintenance”. That would reduce your ignorance by a large factor and you and millions like you would not be such easy marks for auto-repair shops…

Valve noise has been a hallmark of this engine since it first appeared in the Mercury Capri as a 2.9 liter engine…The year 2000 was the last year it was used in the Explorer. 2001 models got a Major powerplant up-grade…

Perhaps our educational system should cancel a study hall and instead require one semester of “Basic Automobile Maintenance”.

I think you’re on to something there Caddyman.

jenndog - go try to find the receipt for that timing “whatever” you had done, and see what it says.

Go to a chain-type auto parts store and have them scan your car for codes (format: P0123). Write the exact code(s) down and post here. This may or may not be related to the noise & shaking but it is the best place to start. This takes 5 minutes after work.

It probably was a timing chain that was replaced, along with the gears and the accompanying water pump. Common repair at these miles, and sounds about right price wise.

The OP admits to running with “Really low oil levels”, and now complains of engine noise and shaking.

To me that mean deep engine bearing damage and a misfiring chamber. Not good on a car of that age with those miles…

It’s been my experience that basic auto maintenance would not be a very popular class.

My car sounds like a diesel, but it is a diesel.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Regarding warning lights:

1. if the coolant temp light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

2. if the oil warning light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

3. if a FLASHING MIL/CEL comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

ASAP means driving to the berm of the highway right now and not waiting for the next exit.

But if the MIL/CEL is not flashing, then it’s not an urgent indicator.