Car sitting for a long period

I am buying a 94 Toyota 4runner with about 80,000 miles on it. It’s in excellent shape, but has been sitting in storage for about 5 years. It’s been driven a little bit from time to time, but not more than once or twice a year. Should I get it towed in to have everything drained or could I maybe drive it in? What other concerns should I have?

Well if you have been driving it a few times a year, you should be able to drive it in. Yea, there will be a number of things due.

PS: Thing due means past due maintenance. Just because it has not been driven does not mean things like oil changes, filters and plugs wires can be ignored.

Seeing as how you said “it’s been driven a little bit from time to time” and you haven’t bought it yet, I have to assume you were not the person doing the driving.

Therefore aren’t sure about the vehicle.

The first things I’d look for would be very low tire pressure and be certain to test the brakes good BEFORE going out on the road.

If you do not feel good about them, have it towed.

I agree with you in that you should have all the fluids changed. NOT flushed, just drained along with all filters.

Depending on the storage location (inside or out) I’d be a bit concerned of mice eating the wire insulation and camping in semi-sealed (warm) locations. Ductwork is a favorite place.

I’d change all the fluids, check the brakes and bearings, and replace the tires to start.