Car shaking

My 2006 VW Passat 2.0T started shaking when I stopped at a light this morning. I had just driven about two miles on the freeway and had was at the end of the off ramp when this happened (in case engine heat etc. may cause this outcome), total time of driving since leaving home was 8 minutes at this point. The only other symptom I noticed was when I pulled up in the parking garage to see if it was still shaking (it was), the engine was noisy - sounded like a typical older VW.

Anyone got any clues as to what this might be?? Thanks :slight_smile:

It sounds a lot like a misfire, but could be many different things.

Did the check engine light come on?

No, no warning lights came on.

If it was a misfire I would have thought it would be evident at other times, not just when stopped, but I know nothing about this stuff so I could be wrong.

Since it is mostly noticeable when stopped, I would assume an engine problem - which means air, fuel, and/or spark. What has the maintenance history been? Fuel filter? Air filter? Spark plugs & wires etc. The answers are often simple and I would start with those simple things.

A misfire should have triggered a check engine light. I’m suspicious of perhaps a broken motor mount.

But, it needs to be looked at. There are a lot of possibilities.

Thanks for your responses :slight_smile:

It’s only been serviced twice - at 5,000 and 10,000 miles, I’ve only done just over 13,000 miles. I don’t know if any of the things you mentioned have been replaced, although if they are standard items routinely changed at service, then they probably have been. Both services have been performed at the dealer where I bought it.

I took the car back to the dealer service department and thought I would post what they found in case anyone else has this problem occur. It was a faulty crank case breather valve. They said it was unlikely to be from wear and tear given my relatively low mileage and had proabably been faulty from the start.

I cannot thank you enough for posting back. So often we have people post with similar problems, and if everyone gave us their results we’d have far more knowledge to be able to help them with.

Happy motoring.