Car rental vs. personal car on vacation

I WANT TO RENAT A CAR FOR A WEEK LONG VACATION AND MY WIFE DOES NOT. WE WILL PUT ABOUT 2000 MILES ON THE CAR. WE HAVE A 05 JETTA WITH ABOUT 80,0000 MILES. IT GETS ABOUT 25 MPG HWY. I CAN RENT A SIM. MPG CAR FOR 150.00 TOTAL. WHAT DO WE DO ?

All caps. Hard to read.

Is there a reason you don’t want to drive your Jetta? The additional 2,000 miles will not harm the car in any way, nor reduce its value. I’d want my wife to be happy if I were going on a week’s vacation with her. I’d also be more comfortable in my own car.

Your Jetta only gets 25 mpg on the highway? Seems rather low to me. Is the car modified?

sorry about the caps. No modifications. Maybe it gets closer to 28. Not really sure. The only reason I want to rent is due to high mileage on car now. In the end I guess I should pocket the rental fee, drive the Jetta and buy a few bottles of wine with the extra cash.

I recently took a week off and drove 4,500+ miles in a rental, even though there were several vehicles available here of all manner of size and performance. It was just so much easier to go, not worrying about break downs or accidents far from home. The Chevrolet that we took was very adequate and fuel mileage was about 28 mpg overall. I highly recommend renting when it is that cheap… Assuming it is a national rental company, of course.

thanks

Viking Jim, Why Does Your Wife Not Want To Go With Your Decision? Never Mind, I’m Married, too.

I have rented cars for vacations before. Is this $150 unlimited miles? That’s a good rate! Subtract from that 1/2 an oil change and some wear and tear. I like the relaxing feeling I get in the rental when I’m far from home. I know that if some jerk hits the car or there is a break down, then I’ll have just a temporary delay. One trip back to East Skunk Hollow to pick up a repaired car following a collision, not to mention then having to rent ,anyhow, makes it worth not driving your own car. It has to do with not being close to home and near familiar repair facilities, etcetera.

I rented a large car once for a sight-seeing, visting friends, camping, 2,800 mile week-long vacation, once. When I gave the $195 unlimited miles car back, I told the woman at the desk that the steering wheel was shaking (I heated up the brakes in the Smokey Mountains somewhere), she didn’t care. She said something like “That’s OK, the car is going out of service soon, anyhow.” Subtract from the $195, a brake job and oil change, that I probably would have had on my own car, not to mention miles on my car, and better mpg, and what’s the real cost?

Also, when my wife goes out of town, 400-800 miles some week-ends, on icy roads in the winter, we rent her a car. I would rather have a rental car crashed by some clown on the Interstate than one of ours. Plus, we get something extra safe.

You’ll have people telling you to drive your own car. I would say, “Yes” if you are not venturing far from home.

Mrs. Viking, why not try it once? If it doesn’t work out, this time, then you can tell Mr. Viking, he’s nuts, next time.

Call your insurance agent. I don’t need any additional coverage for a one-week rental anywhere in U.S. I’m covered only so many miles into Canada (don’t remember) and no coverage in Mexico.

LOL. Thanks.

Will the car you have suit your needs? If so, drive it. That is what it is for.

Well it is going to be more expensive to rent and leave your car at home, unless you need additional space etc.

The rental company knows the cost of adding an additional miles. They are going to make sure they get that money back from anyone renting plus profit.

However renting gives you a chance to try out something different and maybe a car that better fits your trip needs than your around town needs.

If it is just trying to save a little, don’t bother, it is almost certainly going to cost you more than driving your own in the long run.

Agree with your wife and drive the Jetta, then take the $150 you saved out of your account and buy yourself a gift; you both win.