Car radio

2006 pontiac g6 radio stop working after shop wiped engine & dashboard. chaned fuse and still nothinng

Verify the fuse has power getting to it. If that is okay then move on down the power circuit checking for voltage. If power is getting to the rear wiring of the radio then the radio would appear to be bad.

How do i check for that? like all the other lights are on such as check engine light and security light and seat belt light.

You can use a test light probe to test for power. You can purchase one at a auto parts store. Even better would be a inexpensive digital voltmeter.

@ray763

Have you contacted the shop and explained your situation?

Yes i have… I don’t know if it’s just the wire or something electrical

@ray763

What did the shop say?

They are just saying it could be a shortage in the wire. I personally think i need a new radio

Better not go out and buy a new radio if there is a short in the wire leading to the radio.

There could also be a short IN the radio.

Tunes in a car are usually a must have. I would consider explaining this to a competent shop that installs car audio. Ask if they can verify that your factory radio is bad and that you would like them to install a new radio if indeed the old one is dead. Many factory car radios only last 5-10 years at best.

The shop are telling me two different things. One is that it’s the fuse, but I don’t know how. And the other is there is a shortage in the wire. So i don’t know which one it is. So i am just going to take to a car sounds place

The shop are telling me two different things. One is that it’s the fuse, but I don’t know how. And the other is there is a shortage in the wire. So i don’t know which one it is. So i am just going to take to a car sounds placeI @CW @MikeInNH @db4690 @Crougar

Having a short usually means that a power lead is tied, or shorted to a ground connection which should blow out a fuse. In your case power doesn’t appear to be getting to the radio and there is a break in the power connection somewhere, not a short. The fuse needs to be checked to see if power is getting to that point and if that is okay then to the radio. These are very simple checks that a shop can test out.

I have checked the fuse and nothing seemed to be wrong but I changed it just in case and the radio still doesn’t work. @Crougar

Doesn’t that have the display for clock, messages, tire pressure, oil life and so on? Is the whole thing blank so you don’t get any display, or just the radio part? CD work or not? Have you checked all three fuse boxes-under hood, in car, and in trunk? What exactly did they do under the hood, what do you mean by wiped? Something is not making sense unless they disturbed a ground wire under the hood.

I only checked the fuse box in the car. Yes it is supposed to show all those details on the display but it is just blank like it Just doesn’t work nothing works. The guy at the shop said they wiped down the engine & dashboard, I guess with water. @Bing

@ray763

This is very important . . .

Did you tell the shop that the radio stopped working immediately after they worked on the car?

Don’t beat around the bush.

Tell the shop you’re concerned that something happened, at the shop, that caused the radio to stop working.

Be polite.

But be firm.

I told them soon as they got done @db4690

@ray763

The manager refuses to consider that something went wrong at the shop?

They just keep saying it’s the fuse or a shortage @db4690