Car Purchase Process from Private Seller Out of State?

I would add one more thing to @shadowfax 's post. In addition to driving to the shop they need to stop at the bank to take a bag of money.

3 Likes

We were buying a car, called the agent, we were automatically covered and had 30 days to provide them with info.

Speaking of the bank, make an appointment before you go to ensure that the notary will be there when you are. We needed a notary a few months ago, and the notary at the bank we wanted to use spent time at more than one branch.

Sure, why not? Itā€™s a Porsche, not a ballistic missile submarine. Thereā€™s no requirement that you know anything more than how to drive to a shop when you own a Porsche,

Or the ability to call a tow truck,

1 Like

Well no kidding? I never would have guessed that before you could transfer a plate to another car in Wisconsin, that youā€™d have to register it with DMV. Sarc.

Letā€™s be clear though, I bought the car. The seller is the one responsible for the Wisconsin plates not the buyer. Thatā€™s why he needed them back which I mailed the next day. So it was 8:00 at night and drove 100 miles home to Minnesota, registered the car the next day and mailed the Wisconsin plates back. Or I suppose I could have bought the car, driven home, then drive back the next night to pick it up after putting new plates on.

And thatā€™s the way insurance from State Farm works too. You are covered for 30 days for any car you buy. They just ask to be notified as soon as possible with the VIN. Doesnā€™t matter if its a replacement vehicle or an additional one. The only question is if you need to pay an additional membership fee on an additional car.

THe laws vary from state to state. Most states you take the plates off when you sell a car, but some, the plates stay with the car. Check with the DMVs of the two states you are dealing with. I know Florida will issue you a temporay paper plate for $10 to transport a car to your home state.

1. Hemmings has a good article on the basics, read it and follow every step.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2013/06/28/skills-101-how-to-buy-a-used-ca

1. Before you go to see the car ask the seller to send you a copy of the title. Any liens? Is he name and address on the Title the same as the sellerā€™s? Can you run the VIN to check for prior damage or any ā€œnotationsā€?

2. Temporary Tags are more of an issue because each State has their own laws, taxes and Inspection requirements can differ so first contact your and the sellerā€™s DMV.

3. Means of payment will generally be up to the Seller but consult an attorney for their recommendations.

Overall, as a Seller Iā€™m not going to waste my time with window shoppers so I expect a serious Buyer to have some serious questions
And as a Buyer, I expect that a serous Seller will have some serious questions for me so donā€™t be shy.

1 Like

If I was spending big money on a used Porsche, Iā€™d think long and hard about getting it locally, maybe a CPO from a Porsche dealer, even if I had to adjust my sights down (Boxster/Cayman instead of 911, for example). The IMS bearing issue could justify the added cost of a warranty.

Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d call a Cayman a step down from a 911. If you want more power, get the 911. If you want better handling, get the Cayman. You can pay 911 money for a Cayman if you get the 718 GT4.

I agree, Iā€™m just putting them in price order. The Cayman/Boxster are great cars.

1 Like