Car On Blocks

The first kid I knew who died from any cause was 15 y/o. I was 14 y/o. He was working on his car and it slipped off the jack. I have always used jack stands but prefer ramps. The problem with my last 3 cars are the air dams that are so low they cannot be driven onto ramps.

I don’t like ramps

@Sgt,take a couple of 2" blocks and let the vehicle run up on them,thats how I get my Hondas up on the ramps-Kevin

My preference would be to keep jacks in place along with jackstands because personally, I don’t even trust heavy duty jackstands. It only takes one “who would have thought” and even a car lift has been known to fail now and then.

A long time friend of mine since high school lost his wife not many years ago due to a car falling on her. She had an old classic Thunderbird and was doing something with it when a wooden ramp gave way and crushed her. She was dead before the cops and paramedics arrived.

(The question might arise as to why the guy wasn’t doing the work. He’s a paraplegic and has been in a wheelchair since an auto accident a couple of years after graduating high school.)

@sgtrock21, I finally gave in and bought some lower plastic ramps so I can use them on modern cars rat sit that low.

“Cinder Blocks” have not been made or sold for decades…They are concrete blocks, a fine building material overlooked by most builders…But they were not made to support heavy loads turned on their sides…Supporting a car like this serves no purpose…

I agree with Caddy. Supporting a car like that is really stupid and dangerous. Those things can suddenly shatter and turn to gravel.

I’ve had to lift a car way up in the air to get a transmission out from under and used 4x4 cribbing under the wheels /and/ four monstrous jack stands. Even then, I still had trepidations about crawling under that thing but got it done safely.

photo SafeAutoRepair.jpg

LOL! Wow. That is some scary boneheaded stuff.

I almost forgot about that one. He is safety conscious- the rear wheel is blocked to prevent rolling…

Plus TWO…count 'em …TWO 2x4s for added security :wink:

If he doesn’t have the RF wheel chocked then he’s only blocking it in one direction.

What’s that he’s welding on; the gas tank?

He’s a very trusting soul apparently.

Are those 2x4s or 4x4s? I can’t tell form the picture.

4x4s would be stronger, right? I guess it won’t matter which one they are if he bumps into one of them.